New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Gnome Root Beer extract question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
goosen1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Gnome Root Beer extract question

My kids always wanted to make homemade rootbeer so I bought this extract for them to play with. So they whipped up the recipe from on the back of the pouch of the extract. When they were done with it ready to bottle, I noticed that there was no yeast left over. Long story short, they mixed in all of the yeast in the 5 gallon batch. It's been over three days and I have not had any bottles blow up but with that amount of yeast, will it have a different taste to the rootbeer??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The amount of yeast won't be the issue. Yeast would reproduce even if you used a small amount.

Since you made 5 gallons, the issue is that yeast will not only reproduce, but will consume sugar and expel alcohol and co2. They will do ao until the alcohol concentration is too high, or there is no sugar left. That will be the cause of bottle bombs, or drunkenness.

Make sure they're in the fridge and they all get consumed fast. Even in the fridge, they'll continue to ferment (co2&alcohol) but at a slower pace. My guess is a week or two, fridged, but someone should have a better timeframe.

Now if it weren't for all that, I'd say it might taste a little yeastier than if all of it wasn't used, but nothing major.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply