Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Glass or Plastic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
KingPin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Glass or Plastic

I've heard it said, and read it too, that one should not yeast carbonate using glass bottles (as due to bottle bombs).

I'm wondering if anyone has documented the flavor differences that could occur in a batch using glass vs. using plastic (petn) bottles? Out of curiosity my friend and I both brew and I use the PETN bottles because of my budget and he uses glass because he is a soda snob.

Needless to say that he and I can brew pretty much identical batches using the same yeast packet, same water, same sugars, and same extracts. The only real noticeable difference will be in flavor. His glass bottled brew always tastes better than mine. The only thing we can come up with is that glass somehow yields a better taste because of maybe sanitization or some other unseen phenomenon.

Any insights or comments would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks,
KingPin

What we measure affects what we do. If we have the wrong metrics, we will strive for the wrong things."
--Joseph Stiglitz

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPin View Post

I've heard it said, and read it too, that one should not yeast carbonate using glass bottles (as due to bottle bombs).

I'm wondering if anyone has documented the flavor differences that could occur in a batch using glass vs. using plastic (petn) bottles? Out of curiosity my friend and I both brew and I use the PETN bottles because of my budget and he uses glass because he is a soda snob.

Needless to say that he and I can brew pretty much identical batches using the same yeast packet, same water, same sugars, and same extracts. The only real noticeable difference will be in flavor. His glass bottled brew always tastes better than mine. The only thing we can come up with is that glass somehow yields a better taste because of maybe sanitization or some other unseen phenomenon.

Any insights or comments would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks,
KingPin
I dunno have you tried a double blind test? If you decent it into a glass I don't think I'd notice the difference. I've done both but not in the same batch.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
10borderline11brew
Recipes 

sometimes i have notice that if water sits in a plastic bottle, after some time you can taste the pastic. i know thats water but maybe its the same for sodas....

Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
KingPin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Its possible that it could be flavors leeching from the plastic but the bottles have only ever been used for root beer. However, I cannot discount that but the flavor coming out isn't plastic.

I'm going to try again and this time bottle the same batch of brew into glass and PETN and see what happens. Worst case scenario I dump my PETN and go with glass bottles....................the flavor is that different to make me want to do that.

What we measure affects what we do. If we have the wrong metrics, we will strive for the wrong things."
--Joseph Stiglitz

Quick Reply