Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Glass bottles, soda & other rookie ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
chickenfarmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Glass bottles, soda & other rookie ?'s

I am sure this has been answered here already and if it has just point me to the link......

As a rookie (me) I can use returnable pop top glass bottles to put soda in correct? I acquired 2 cases of Old Milwaukee Returnables and plan on making Birch Beer. It seems there are 2 camps out there, one says plastic only, and one says glass. Also I picked up a few Grolsch bottles and was wondering if those would work as well.

Also one last ? The extract I am using says 1/2 to 1 tsp of yeast. That seems like a pretty big difference there. What do you guys and gals recommend for say a 2 gallon batch?

I am sure these are pretty basics ?'s to some of you, but I appreciate any and all the help I can get!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
duganderson
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like using glass but I always use fill one or two 20 oz. plastic soda bottles to test for carbonation. When they are very stiff, I refrigerate my bottles.

I use a rounded 1/4 teaspoon of yeast for 2 gallons. That's enough and I would not use much more than that.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
chickenfarmer
Recipes 

I love the "test" bottle idea, and will use it. I also found some other threads on the glass vs plastic issue. I am going glass, with the test bottle idea, and let what may happen, happen. Appreciate it duganderson!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
duganderson
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you anticipate making homemade soda in the future, there is a great book with scratch recipes and great tips for making homemade soda. It's call Homemade Root Beer, Soda and Pop by Cresswell.

Quick Reply