Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger Beer Plant source

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #31
mjhszig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts View Post
I didn't get any instructions with mine. I was going off two different sets of recipes on Happy Herbalist's site. One uses lemon, one doesn't. One adds the sugar at the end of boiling the ginger, the other after it has all cooled. No mention of sanitization procedures in any. I figure this is pretty robust since this came from the time when iodophor and star san didn't exist.

What are you all using for sanitization?

Are you boiling the sugars and adjuncts like raisins?
I'm a newb to actual gbp. I was using god knows what before...
3 batches -so far so good.
I have yet to sanitize anything other than super hot tap water, and have had no problem with infection, so save the star san for beer.

I would suggest always using lemon, if only a little. The acid does help it to keep other stuff from growing. Always cream of tartar, the potassium helps it grow. Always add molasses or piloncillo, which is really the sugar it prefers, but doesnt taste the best..
I have not boiled any sugars, as of yet, just added to pot of hot water to help dissolve.

This is the recipe that I made first and its amazing. I based it mainly off of all Dinnerstick's recipes and hard work.

2.5oz raw ginger, blender-ed, and boiled in an inch of water, for ~30mins along with:
1/2 lemons worth of zest
2grams cloves

^strained& add to

64oz spring water
8oz Sugar in the Raw
2oz molasses
1oz piloncillo
1 lemon's juice
1t cream of tartar
8 thin slices of fresh ginger
GBP

pa 8.5% OG 1.067
brewed in a jar in a window sill with airlock for 5 days, (1.030) then strained into second bottle w/airlock for 3 more days, then "bottled" (put a cap on), waited several hours till bottle was rock hard, refrigerated overnight - DELICIOUS! My friend and I drank it all in one sitting!
FG 1.022 and 5.5% alcohol!!!

EDIT: I also added 6oz of Honey at "bottling", it wasn't quite sweet enough.

Good Luck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #32
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhszig View Post
Hey, not trying to ding ya, but Ive read a couple places that retro-culture is NOT selling genuine gbp, its actually water kefir grains....

which still makes a delicious fizzy drink....
no worries,
yeah, i find it interesting that others are interested in figuring out the exact differences between water keffir and gbp, and there will probably never be agreement, and i consider myself fortunate that i don't give a rat's bottom as long as it makes delicious ginger beer!!
which it does.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #33
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhszig View Post
Always add molasses or piloncillo, which is really the sugar it prefers, but doesnt taste the best..
weird, i love the molasses taste in there. a matter of personal preference i guess. can't get piloncillo here. your sounds good!
try cardamom pods!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #34
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Quote:
What are you all using for sanitization?

i use very little sanitization, wash bottles and the 'resting vessel' with hot soapy tap water. i use tap water for everything (when i remember to plan in advance i leave it out to de-chlorinate overnight). not sure if this is a good idea or not but after many many batches all is still well. my plant went through a phase of smelling a bit vinegary, but the beer never tasted off, and now it smalls normal again. i put it to rest for a few months when i was traveling, don't know if this had anything to do with it.
i didn't used to boil the ginger, lemon, chili juices but now i do cause i think i like the cooked flavor a little more, it's spicier but less pungent somehow, and of course you need to heat and steep the spices to extract flavor. when i have used the culture to make fruit water keffir i only cook the sugar, just to dissolve. the next batch of ginger beer after making say plum mint honey keffir is interesting!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #35
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
weird, i love the molasses taste in there. a matter of personal preference i guess. can't get piloncillo here. your sounds good!
try cardamom pods!
When I first "brewed", the smell of molasses was so potent that I wrote in my notes "WAY too much molasses!!"
but the scent soon subsided, and I cant hardly taste "molasses" in the final product, its just delicious! Im going to add more next time.

I guess I take piloncillo for granted living 300 miles north of Mexico. It's just pure, unrefined cane sugar. Muscovado, panela, demerara, & raspadura are all similar or the same thing.

I'm waiting to see how the lemongrass works out, and then next I was going to try coriander, but I think I try cardamom first

Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #36
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
no worries,
yeah, i find it interesting that others are interested in figuring out the exact differences between water keffir and gbp, and there will probably never be agreement, and i consider myself fortunate that i don't give a rat's bottom as long as it makes delicious ginger beer!!
which it does.
There is a BIG difference in WaterKefir and GingerBeer Plant...
Here are the cultures typically found in water kefir grains, keep in mind the yeasts can change depending on the wild yeasts in your area:
Lactobacillus brevis : identified as the species responsible for the production of the polysaccharide matrix that forms the grains
Lactobacillus casei rhamnosus
Lactobacillus alactosus
Lactobacillus casei casei
Lactobacillus pseudoplantarum
Lactobacillus plantarum
Streptococcus lactis
Streptococcus cremeris
Leuconostoc mesenteroide
Saccharomyces florentinus
Saccharomyces pretoriensis
Kloeckera apiculata
Candida lambica
C. valida

And here are the cultures in GBP:
Lactobacillus hilgardii

And I agree, they both make a great ginger beverage. I just hate that someone thinks they are getting GBP but are being sold a water kefir grain or hybrid. When you work with the independent cultures long enough, and taste what their ferments taste like, you come to appreciate each of them. The actual grains of each ferment source are visibly different and identifiable on sight. If you are dying for a ginger beer beverage and don't care one way or the other, and want a quick growing grain, then get water kefir grains. You will have enough to share with friends within 1-3 ferments if you have a mineral rich water, don't skimp on the sugar, and give the grains access to oxygen when they are in the solution. You can also visit www.gingerbeerplant.net and follow the links to recipes, Jim has recipes for making traditional ginger beer, scrumpy, using tea and using honey...I have made each and every one of them with his GBP and they are delicious.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #37
Raudhbjorn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I've been feeding mine on gingered oat wort blended with raw, unboiled honey.

Gentlemen prefer blondes, real men prefer stouts.

Horn & Mug

Primary: Mooseberry Porter, JOAM, Hobo Cider, County USA Irish Red

Old 02-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #38
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudhbjorn View Post
I've been feeding mine on gingered oat wort blended with raw, unboiled honey.
hmmm, care to share your recipe?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #39
Raudhbjorn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Redhammer Ginger Stout
Ingredients
Honey - 12 Lbs. 5 oz. (Divided 12 Lbs. and 5 oz.)
Blackstrap Molassas Unsulphured - 1 bottle
Rolled Oats - 1 Lb.
Ginger Rhysome - 2 Lbs. (shredded)
Pineapple Juice - 27 oz.
Lime Juice - 20 oz.
Pure Vanilla Bourbon - 1 Tbsp

Boil the oats (in a grain bag) for 30 minutes with 5 gallons of water and then add the shredded ginger to the wort. Allow to boil for an additional 15 minutes, then remove the oats, blend in 12 lbs of honey and the molasses. Chill and transfer (ginger an all) into a fermenter and stir in the juice. Pitch the GBP and install the airlock. After a week or so, stir in the Vanilla and the remaining 5 oz of honey then rack into bottles or keg. Be certain to salvage your GBP.

Gentlemen prefer blondes, real men prefer stouts.

Horn & Mug

Primary: Mooseberry Porter, JOAM, Hobo Cider, County USA Irish Red

Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #40
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Here are the cultures typically found in water kefir grains, keep in mind the yeasts can change depending on the wild yeasts in your area:
Lactobacillus brevis : identified as the species responsible for the production of the polysaccharide matrix that forms the grains
Lactobacillus alactosus
Lactobacillus plantarum
Streptococcus lactis
Streptococcus cremeris
Leuconostoc mesenteroide
Kloeckera apiculata
Candida lambica
C. valida

Lactobacillus hilgardii

And I agree, they both make a great ginger beverage. I just hate that someone thinks they are getting GBP but are being sold a water kefir grain or hybrid. When you work with the independent cultures long enough, and taste what their ferments taste like, you come to appreciate each of them. The actual grains of each ferment source are visibly different and identifiable on sight. If you are dying for a ginger beer beverage and don't care one way or the other, and want a quick growing grain, then get water kefir grains. You will have enough to share with friends within 1-3 ferments if you have a mineral rich water, don't skimp on the sugar, and give the grains access to oxygen when they are in the solution. You can also visit www.gingerbeerplant.net and follow the links to recipes, Jim has recipes for making traditional ginger beer, scrumpy, using tea and using honey...I have made each and every one of them with his GBP and they are delicious.
Quote:
Lactobacillus alactosus
Lactobacillus plantarum
Streptococcus lactis
Streptococcus cremeris
Leuconostoc mesenteroide
Kloeckera apiculata
Candida lambica
C. valida

Lactobacillus hilgardii

Quote:
Lactobacillus alactosus
Lactobacillus plantarum
Streptococcus lactis
Streptococcus cremeris
Leuconostoc mesenteroide
Kloeckera apiculata
Candida lambica
C. valida

Lactobacillus hilgardii

Quote:
Lactobacillus alactosus
Lactobacillus plantarum
Streptococcus lactis
Streptococcus cremeris
Leuconostoc mesenteroide
Kloeckera apiculata
Candida lambica
C. valida

Lactobacillus hilgardii

ok thanks for the same info again. consult part in previous post about rat's bottom

Quick Reply