Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger Beer Plant source

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #21
mjhszig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyoung View Post
Here are some images. My camera (aka cell phone) cannot do good close ups unfortunately.
() http://www.diyphotography.net/super-macro-your-cellphone-camera-with-a-dvd-lens

Make this from any old cd/dvd/cd-rom/playstation/walkman/whatever, and then just use high quality Scotch tape to hold it on; its only temporary.
()

You'lll love it, and you can give us super close pics...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #22
jimyoung
Recipes 

Default macro

hah! I tried that, and I got macro pictures all right. Unfortunately it was a little too macro.. I took a single grain and tried to do it up close, but it just turned out as a smooth surface unfortunately. While I was at it, though, I took some others: http://cs.umanitoba.ca/~young/Hobbies/Macro

Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #23
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thats was fast...
cool pics!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i got my gbp from these guys
http://www.retro-culture.com/
a bit pricey but they were nice and the gbp is awesome

Old 02-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #25
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
They have not been taking orders for a few weeks, due to the demand.
I got mine from yemoos.com, it was $15 for a Tbsp and $5 shipping. Also, ship hydrated cultures in a vacuum sealed bag, but they are based state side. They only ship out on Monday's, and I got mine in the mail on wed. Already brewing the first batch based on your recipes

Old 02-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

for all interested in gbp, if you haven't heard it listen to the basic brewing radio podcast from august 31, 2006 where he interviews a gbp fanatic, it's interesting.
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2006
i have tried his technique of cooking the ginger briefly (i used to juice and use it raw) with the sugar and a few crushed cardamom pods and lemon juice and i absolutely love it. i crush it up with mortar and pestle, boil for a couple minutes, leave to cool, strain.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #27
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jim...you will be happy with the GBP from yemoos.com, it is the true GBP...the same one that Jim has at www.gingerbeerplant.net in the UK. If you leave it long enough in solution it MAY form a scoby on top like a kombucha would, but ditch the scoby because it can take a turn toward acetobacter (vinegar) and if that happens your entire culture is gone. You will be fine, I have NEVER had a GBP scoby form, have ready of it happening to neglected cultures. I am so glad you got your plant!! You will have to take a photo of the grains in your hand, or heaped on a plate...though I know there is a photo of the grains on yemoos.com Visit gingerbeerplant.net because Jim has some recipes, or maybe it is their Facebook page--I fell in love with putting GBP in good apple juice or sugary fruit teas (black strawberry and black peach was a favorite), and then made ginger beer with the next batch. I miss my GBP.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts

Lb. hilgardii is also found in the milk kefir grain and is known to be responsible for lactate synthesis and then Saccharomyces florentinus is found in the water kefir grain--your everyday fungus. I have been making milk kefir and water kefir for years, from their own unique grains, so I find it interesting that the GBP shares some of the organism structure. Milk kefir grains can be made by putting fresh goat milk in a sheep intestine and over time a grain will form, this grain will ferment/culture milk, end result a rich probiotic beverage & the grains reproduce in milk. Water kefir grains have been sourced back to prickly pear cactus and ferment sugary-water and reproduce like wild fire, another probiotic rich beverage.
My theory is that some ginger was in a winter storage hutch and due to some exposure to the right condition when the human came to get the ginger for whatever reason they noticed a granular substance...they perhaps put the ginger with the grains (GBP) into sugary water, maybe apple cider for flavoring and when they came back in a few days they noticed the brew had fermented and there were more grains present. They gave some to friends, who continued using ginger-a sugar source and ginger beer came into existence & the plant is still around today. Just my theory.
I can tell you that the plant that yemoos.com sells and the plant that Jim from gingerbeerplant.net have are the same plant...seen them, held them, made GB with them. They are the only 2 sources I would ever recommend due to so many knock-offs and hybrids floating about. People are selling water kefir grains and bread yeast starters as "the" ginger beer plant.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #29
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have some GBP from Raj Apte, he did a show on ginger beer plant on Basic Brewing. You guys should check it out if you haven't heard it. (Edit: oops, missed dinnerstick's post on this above.)

The plant I received looks identical to the plant on Yemoos. This is the culture that came from the German tissue bank. A lot of other sites selling the plant are selling something that looks different.

I didn't get any instructions with mine. I was going off two different sets of recipes on Happy Herbalist's site. One uses lemon, one doesn't. One adds the sugar at the end of boiling the ginger, the other after it has all cooled. No mention of sanitization procedures in any. I figure this is pretty robust since this came from the time when iodophor and star san didn't exist.

What are you all using for sanitization?

Are you boiling the sugars and adjuncts like raisins?

I made one batch so far and I let it ferment 3 days at 70F. Just made another today and I cranked up the temp to 85F. No sanitizers, just swirled boiling war in the mason jar. I also boiled the sugar for 15 seconds because I am using organic unrefined sucanat.

Edit: I am a GBP newbie, this is my second batch.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #30
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
Hey, not trying to ding ya, but Ive read a couple places that retro-culture is NOT selling genuine gbp, its actually water kefir grains....

which still makes a delicious fizzy drink....

Quick Reply