The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger Beer Plant source

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
HitTheTwit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudhbjorn
Dunno, mine's been in storage for about a year or so. I really should break it out and do up a couple of batches. Mayhap one of Ginger and one of Vanilla Cream. Mmmm....Blueberry Cream soda.....
What recipe did you use for the Vanilla Cream? I think I'm ordering the gbp soon.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

drinking my first batch of ginger beer now, its pretty good!
I recommend the yemoos people. They have answered any questions I threw at them in a timely manner. They seem friendly!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Raudhbjorn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitTheTwit View Post
What recipe did you use for the Vanilla Cream? I think I'm ordering the gbp soon.
Haven't made any yet. Planned recipe can be found here.

Gentlemen prefer blondes, real men prefer stouts.

Horn & Mug

Primary: Mooseberry Porter, JOAM, Hobo Cider, County USA Irish Red

Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

***FOR ANYONE WANTING TO BUY A GBP*** - IMPORTANT

Yes, you can order them on-line, but right now every supplier that I've found is back ordered. So I decided to take my chances and grow one myself... *WITHOUT YEAST. Naturally occurring yeast in the ginger and bacteria from the air will start to grow in the solution, and the result will be a Ginger Beer Plant.

Its simple and it only took 36 hours till it started bubbling, at 48 hrs its burping and slooshing around a bit. It's going to take awhile till its mature (at least 7 days, but shipping takes that long anyway, right???), but comes with the satisfaction that I grew it myself...

(ratio it out as desired...)

2 Pints sterile/spring/dechlorinated/bottled water
4 tsp fresh grated Ginger (dropped in boiling water for 60 secs to sterilize)
4 tsp powdered Ginger
8 tsp "Sugar in the Raw" or any other organic, unrefined cane/palm sugar, the darker and more moist, the better
1 lemons worth juice

put all in a sterilized jar covered with cheese/muslin cloth, and swirl it around
feed 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp powdered ginger a day
add crushed egg shells, spoon of dark molasses, or a pinch of cream of tartar after 7 days to really give it the nutrients it needs to thrive

Now you grew your own GBP for "free" and didn't have to wait for it to be shipped...

Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
jimyoung
Recipes 

Default differences in GBP

Thanks for the guide, I've seen others who have made their own ginger ferments this way. My understanding, however, is that the organism we call GBP is a specific type of yeast and a specific kind of bacteria working together (SCOBY - symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast).

While I am sure that you may be able to get something like that going yourself, you will likely either just have a yeast, and not a SCOBY, or have different types of yeasts and bacteria. I wonder if you get the gelatinous cubes (grains) that the GBP gives? I would worry a little about which kind of yeast and bacteria you get going, but I assume your taste buds will let you know if its gone wrong.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is flavour. If your drink turns out to taste great, then that's awesome, but it'll probably taste different than one made with GBP. I just ordered a GBP from yemoos.com, it arrived in a timely manner and I am about to start a ferment, I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #16
Raudhbjorn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The question is, how do I get the gelatinous cubes to form? I have Ginger beer plant and I can't seem to get it to make more. What is the gelatinous stuff anyways? For all the research done on GBP there is a serious lack of any info on the net.

Gentlemen prefer blondes, real men prefer stouts.

Horn & Mug

Primary: Mooseberry Porter, JOAM, Hobo Cider, County USA Irish Red

Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, a GBP is specifically Saccharomyces florentinus and Lactobacillus.

When I first heard of GBP years and years ago I was taught/learned that S.florentinus naturally occurs in ginger root, and the bacteria Lacto is also just naturally occurring in most homes and the fermenting ginger and sugar gives rise to the yeast which is then a perfect environment for the bacteria to set in via being exposed to the open air.Over time it develops into a scoby.

HOWEVER, I've spent like 4 hrs straight and yet to find anything that proves OR disproves this idea! I can't find any info on where S.f actually comes from, or it's origin. I read several places that state the GBP's original origin is actually UNKNOWN(?). All the research I can find only talks about what it is, how it works, what it does, and how to take care of it, but never where it comes from, other than saying in ginger water. According to the internet, it only exists in yeast banks, or people's kitchens, but it must live somewhere in nature, and have a origin. Everything else is everyone stating that certain strains are fake, or not the real GBP, etc.

So now Im quite perplexed.... Anyone have information on this???

For now, I will continue to mature this plant. It smells exactly like a GBP that I smelled in the past, (at least from memory) and it is supposed to form a gelatinous mass as well. Then make a brew to see what the outcome is, and report back.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
jimyoung
Recipes 

Thanks for the info!

Well, it doesn't necessarily only exist in nature. It could be a product of mutated (evolved?) stuff over a few hundred years in people's kitchens, where the end product is not the same as the original -- like corn!

This has piqued my interest, however... I will try growing this GBP, and will make sure that it at least looks proper.. forming grains, etc. If it works well, then I will try to make my own plant using your method and I will compare the taste. Yemoos, where I got my GBP, claims that they got theirs from the German Culture Bank, so at least I hope its legit!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #19
jimyoung
Recipes 

Here are some images. My camera (aka cell phone) cannot do good close ups unfortunately. This bottle is 2.8L (96oz), and I added the 2 Tsp ginger beer plant from Yeemos 24 hours ago. You can see bits of raisins (added for flavour, chopped) and the flat bits are slices of ginger. If you look closely you can see white grains of GBP starting to emerge! Some of them are very clearly visible and well defined, after only 24 hours. I'm pretty happy

the smell is very.. "warm," and a bit sour. I haven't tasted it yet, I'll give it a few days. It also isn't visibly bubbling yet.

Also, the colour is more orange than in the photos...

2012-01-26-22.06.27.jpg   2012-01-26-22.07.32.jpg  

Old 01-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #20
mjhszig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i just ordered a GBP from derbyshire, UK
that way i will be able to directly compare the two...

*edit
so i made a mistake... in my excited haste of finding a supplier that was in stock, i paid for it before reading the fine print, and it is not SCOBY, just prob the same organism thats growing on my counter, bummer

Last edited by mjhszig; 01-28-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Quick Reply