Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger beer plant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Raudhbjorn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No llama. I ate it.

Gentlemen prefer blondes, real men prefer stouts.

Horn & Mug

Primary: Mooseberry Porter, JOAM, Hobo Cider, County USA Irish Red

saramc Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
ognam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
When I had access to true GBP (the ones that came from www.gingerbeerplant.net) and are the size of the pearl-sized medication you would find inside a gelatin medication capsule, maybe the size of acina di pepe pasta...I was fortunate if the GBP showed any growth after 5 consecutive 3-day to 5-day ferments of basic ginger beer, it is a VERY VERY VERY slow grower---the reason the true GBP is so hard to find from reputable sources these days. The WKG will grow by 100% with each ferment under the perfect conditions (mineral rich, sugary water). The best thing to help ensure growth of the GBP is to make sure to use mineral rich water, let them have access to oxygen, and don't skimp on the sugar.
Seems like you have experience with this, so I am going to ask, because I am having trouble finding information on this stuff anywhere.

I bought some from Jim in UK (www.gingerbeerplant.net) and it seems to be working ok. I have brewed 3 batches which taste pretty good. I don't drink it all that much, so I want to stop brewing but I am afraid to kill it. He says to store it, dry it out. Any advice on how to do that?

I think mine did grow a bit from when I received the 50g, but it may just have expanded due to being in solution.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognam View Post
Seems like you have experience with this, so I am going to ask, because I am having trouble finding information on this stuff anywhere.

I bought some from Jim in UK (www.gingerbeerplant.net) and it seems to be working ok. I have brewed 3 batches which taste pretty good. I don't drink it all that much, so I want to stop brewing but I am afraid to kill it. He says to store it, dry it out. Any advice on how to do that?

I think mine did grow a bit from when I received the 50g, but it may just have expanded due to being in solution.

Quite easy to dry....Spread the GBP (straight from the last batch, no need to rinse it) in a thin layer on a non-stick surface...I use coffee filters. If the grains(that is what the little blobs are, the grains of the GBP) are "quite wet", you can allow to rest on a coffee filter with several paper towels underneath & then transfer to the coffee filter "drying liner" for actual drying. Cover with a single layer of coffee filters and allow to air dry, stir/turn in a few hours (if you remember--no biggie). They will dry quite quickly actually, as they are small. I have placed in my microwave overnight with just the light on LOW & they are dry in the morning. Air circulation will help in the absence of a little heat (never exceed 105F or the culture dies off), so you can weigh down the covering coffee filter and then turn a desk fan on LOW, aimed just so the air circulates above the GBP, not blowing directly at it. Once crispy dry, assuring there is NO water remaining in the GBP you can place in airtight container/vacuum seal, etc and stash them with your yeast(s) in the refrigerator. LIFESPAN: indefinite when properly dried and properly stored...If do not want to use regularly, every 6 months, just to preserve GBP integrity, I would rehydrate (2:1 water:sugar) for 48 hours and then ferment a few batches, dry/store grains again, repeat.
Jim's Facebook page for gingerbeerplant.net may be helpful: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...84784001541132
I particularly like his Scrumpy recipe: http://www.gingerbeerplant.net/Scrumpy.php

Have fun!

Motto: quel che sara sara

gingerman Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
ognam
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. Let's see if I got this right...

I spread it out across a coffee filter on top of a cooling rack, with another filter on top, and had a box fan (from across the room) blowing gently over the top of it. I flipped the whole thing once after a few hours.

The next day, the whole thing was bone dry. The GBP was crusty and rock hard, but stuck to the filters. I rubbed the filters to get all of them free, then sealed the "crumbs" (almost the size and consistency of large grains of raw sugar) in a vacuum package (love my food saver), and popped it in the fridge.

Does everything sound ok here? Is there a better way to avoid the GBP sticking to the filters?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No not really, they stick but easily come off. You could try setting on silpat liner but they will take a bit longer to dry. You did just fine.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS