Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger Beer (lacto fermented) Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
FreeParty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Ginger Beer (lacto fermented) Q's

First question is whether or not lacto fermented ginger beer is alcoholic? I began with a ginger bug and now i use the residual "yeast" left in the bottom of the carboy for the next batch after it is washed. It starts fermenting within a day and bubble like crazy.

If my OG is around 1.045 and FG is 0.99 are the sugars not fermented into alcohol. If not what happens to the sugars.

Is anyone privy to lacto fermentation chemistry?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeParty View Post
First question is whether or not lacto fermented ginger beer is alcoholic? I began with a ginger bug and now i use the residual "yeast" left in the bottom of the carboy for the next batch after it is washed. It starts fermenting within a day and bubble like crazy.

If my OG is around 1.045 and FG is 0.99 are the sugars not fermented into alcohol. If not what happens to the sugars.

Is anyone privy to lacto fermentation chemistry?
Yes. If the OG is 1.045, and the FG is .990, that's about 7.2% ABV.

It sounds like you have saccharomyces in there in addition to lactobacillus.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your ginger bug is the stuff made of bread yeast-ginger-sugar you are not lactofermenting. Might want to actually read about making lactofermented sodas, a bit of fresh whey is all you need, or water kefir grains will even pull off a quasi-lactofermented ginger beer; even better source a traditional ginger beer plant from yemoos.com or gingerbeerplant.net

But there is a decent explanation of lactofermentation chemistry here: http://www.pickl-it.com/faq/148/proc...-fermentation/

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
FreeParty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I like the website, it has nice insight on pickling. I would like to find a site like that describing lacto fermented sodas. Like I said in my original post, I started my fermentation with a ginger bug plant of water, ground ginger and sugar fermented aerobically and no yeast was added, only that present in the air in my kitchen. now I reuse the "yeast" cake left behind.

I have read many blogs and I have the Wild Fermentation book. I am not looking for people's opinions about fermented sodas but the science like in the above website. If anyone has good information I would greatly appreciate it.

My objective is to make a shelf stable soda much like all the home brewers do with beer. I do not want bottle bombs and I hope to maintain the quality and drinkability in the bottle over time.

So far I have had success fermenting in a carboy with an airlock until the sugars are nearly all consumed and the fermentation has stopped. I add sweetness to the soda with priming sugar for carbonation. I am crafting my recipe to my taste, and I enjoy the process and sharing it with people who appreciate it.

Now, I am trying to build my understanding. I believe Weston A Price foundation may be a source of knowledge and possibly Reed's. I will share my findings.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go to PUBMED, search key words lactic acid ferment, lactofermentation, bacteria ferment, lactobacillus, or the specific species, common or latin name, Food, Drink, Ferments, Production.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply