Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger Beer = Gag!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

For carbonation you might try US-05 as it is pretty neutral flavor-wise IMO.

I would also put it in the fridge and then not touch it for at least week or two in order to:

a) let the yeast drop out and clarify better
b) let the carbonation level balance out in the bottle for that temperature
c) let the flavors smooth out a little bit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I'm not sure what your goal is, but if you'd like a simple easy ginger ale recipe, check out my ginger ale recipe. It's under my avatar under "recipes". We have a few recipes in the soda database, not many, but a couple to give you an idea.

I recommend champagne yeast for soda. It's cheap, very "clean" and it works great. I wouldn't let it ferment 2 hours before bottling. You want the co2 to stay in the bottles. I'd use plastic bottles, and stick them in the fridge when they get hard.

I don't like to boil the ginger before using, although I have done it. The "spicy" ginger is from grated raw ginger, while boiling it mellows it quite a bit. I don't know what that kind of sugar is, as I just use regular table sugar for my soda.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
CoffeeSnob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Give this recipe a try:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2...n-ginger-beer/

1 ounce ginger juice
2 ounces fresh lemon juice, finely strained
3 ounces simple syrup
10 ounces warm water (cold if using the soda siphon)

I've made a ton of this stuff and my whole family loves it. It also makes a great dark and stormy. When I make it I tend to put in 2 ounces of ginger juice and a bit more lemon. Yum!!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I don't like to boil the ginger before using, although I have done it. The "spicy" ginger is from grated raw ginger, while boiling it mellows it quite a bit.
this is key! fresh ginger for the bite, fresh lemon juice, i like a small spoonful of molasses to round out the flavor, i start with 70-100 g sugar per L; 70 for semi-dry, 100 for pretty sweet. with a ginger beer plant i ferment about 2 days and it comes out to about 1% alcohol. i also use an ale yeast for an alcoholic version (4%ish), ferment until almost dry (3-4 days), back sweeten to the desired sweetness (by taste), leave overnight in the fridge to drop yeast and ginger out of suspension, carb in plastic bottles 1-2 days at room temp, and then keep them in the fridge. you could skip the fermenting and clearing steps and just add yeast to carb. i wouldn't try to keep this stuff for a long time but if you make 1 or 2 liters at a time and fridge it you can keep it for a week no problem.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
WillKirk
Recipes 

going to give it another shot, this time using Yooper's recipe, we'll see how it goes!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know if this helps, but I like to only add lemon zest to the boil, and I add my lemon juice after the boil.
Citric acid can disappear if heated too long.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

*If* you're going to juice the ginger, then sometimes it's worthwhile to run some hot water, or simmer the ginger pulp, and add the ginger juice at the end with the lemon juice. Really gives a kick.
I like using carbonated water, but if I were going to use yeast, I'd agree with the champagne yeast. You'll see many people in here recommending that, due to the cheapness (a buck per pack of yeast vs beer yeast at 3 dollars), and it won't have the bakers yeast flavor or sulfur.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
WillKirk
Recipes 

Ok, so I made some following Yooper's recipe, and I still think I'm doing something wrong.

It still has that strange off taste to it that I just can't stomach for some reason. I followed the recipe to the T, let it ferment for 24 hours, the bottle was hard as a rock. I stuck it in the fridge, and let it sit overnight.

It STILL had a weird and off taste to it, it didn't taste any different than before, maybe I'm using bad ingredients? I got some Red Star yeast so I'll try it with that and see what happens. Maybe the yeast I'm using now just isn't right and it's screwing up the taste of the whole thing?

Old 06-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #19
gbdonkey
Recipes 

Just wanted to share a research expedition to contribute to this thread.
I was keen to make my first ginger beer that I went down to the local brew shop today, Country Brewer (Sydney AU) and bought the Traditional Ginger Beer 600ml concentrate for $19AUD. The pack contained 600ml of concentrate, a satchel of yeast nutrient & all purpose wine yeast (Lalvin EC-1118 [10 grams]).

The instructions supplied listed two recipes - alcoholic & non-alcoholic.
ALCOHOLIC:
1- mix the ginger concentrate supplied with 1kb of raw or other brewing sugar in your fermenter. Add 2 litres of hot water & mix thoroughly until dissolved.
2- fill to total of 20 litres with cold water, add both yeast nutrient & yeast - Mix & place top onto fermenter & add water to the airlock.
3- fermentation will be apparent within 24-36 hours.
4- maintain temperature between 18-26°C for duration of fermentation.
5- fermentation can take up to 5-7 days.
6- clean & sterillise all bottles. Add sugar to bottles at a rate no greater 3g/375ml or 6g/750ml.
7- store upright away from sunlight for approximately 3-4 weeks at temps above 18°C.
8- Chill & Serve.

NON-ALCOHOLIC
1- empty ginger concentrate with 200grams of sugar into fermenter, add 1 litre of hot water & mix thoroughly.
2- fill to total of 20 litres with cold water, add yeast & nutrient & fix lid.
3- allow to stand for 30mins (to rehydrate yeast) - stir & bottle.
4- store for at least 7 days above 18°C.
5- chill before serving.

So the above two recipes confirm most of what most posters have been saying in this thread, with regards to fermentation time. Maybe the shorter fermentation time in this non-alcoholic recipe may help in retaining the sweetness.

Another interesting point is the yeast used in this kit is an all purpose wine yeast.

When putting down the batch you could definitely smell the ginger & the colour became more like Bundeburg Ginger Beer, which is what I am trying to achieve.

My aim is to make a 'Bundeburg ginger beer', both alcoholic & non-alcoholic from raw ingredients, in 20 litre batches. But this concentrate seems pretty convenient & results depending may stick to this concentrate. Will post the results in 7 days time, when the non-alcoholic batch should be ready.

MrFoodScientist - I like your blog. It looks good & straight forward. Will be checking it out further to help me research my 'Raw 20L' with regards to ingredient ratios. Good work dude. http://homemadesodaexpert.blogspot.com/

Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
merk_the_hermit
Recipes 

Just adding some simple suggestions other have made :

Switch to table sugar, I made the mistake of using brown sugar. It will be clearer and the taste wont be as offensive. As for the sulfur, it could be either be the yeast/water/contamination. Use filtered/spring water, especially if you have tap. Also, follow sterility rules.

The recipe give or take I've been using now is similiar to the one at gingerbeerplant.net with some changes.

The steps I'm using are :
Boil 2000ml water with minced ginger (7 inch or more) with 200g of sugar along with 1/2-1tsp of cream of tartar. Once it's boiling for a few, reduce to medium heat for a half hour stirring or so. Turn it off, let it cool and put it into whatever you're using for the fermentation. Once it's cool enough, add the yeast (I use GBP). Then the rest is just basic. I'm still experimenting myself with making a likable batch, but the white sugar helps a lot. I've skipped out on the lemon juice though, no real reason.

Quick Reply