Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger beer (alcoholic)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #21
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I have a bottle of crabies here, and it says that it is a malt beverage. Since malt doesn't ferment 100%, has anyone tried doing this with malt instead of sugar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #22
prosserbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks for the good ideas

Took a shot a Ginger beer today while my HLT is waiting for me to figure out how to wire my HERMS panel. Anyway. Here's what I did and the plan based on all the threads I've read...

5.5 gallon batch

4.5 lbs table sugar
1 lb brown sugar
2 lbs ginger peeled (mostly) and grated in the food processor
2 sticks cinnamon
1 TB cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
5 whole cloves
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp orange peel
1 vanilla bean scraped and split
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Zest and juice of 3 limes

Brought a little over 5.5 gallons to a boil and added the ginger for 15min
Right before flameout I added the sugar and spices, cut the heat, put the lid on and let steep for 2 hours. Temp was still 180+ 2 hours later so I dropped in the copper chiller and brought it down to pitching temp within maybe 10 min. Put the zest and like juice in the fermenter (which seems wrong given how anal I am about everything else but oh well, it's only 5 gallons) I pitched 1 package of S-05.

OG was just a hair above 1.055 at 80 degrees. I'll ferment for 4 days, then bottle for 2 days in 22's, then pasteurize at 180 for 20min (which sounds like it will get me there based on what I have found... I'll wear goggles and try and avoid flying glass). Tasted great and very sweet out of the Boil kettle - that 1/4 tsp of cayenne goes a long way when mixed with that ginger bite...

I'll post results in a few weeks memory willing...

Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #23
oceanbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I know this post is dead, but I'd like to throw my two cents in. I've been in a pinch financially, and have had to resort to cheaper ingredients for making alcohol. I stick to ec-1118 because it's cheap, and strong. I also use table sugar. I buy the 10 lb bags at Wallie world. I find that I can calculate out how much sugar the yeast will be able to handle based on mead recipes for ec-1118. I then use a conversion table to change that to sugar. So I can dose my sugar to taste. Then I have one of two options: bottle early hoping my calculations were right and no bottle bombs occur (seems fine so far). Or add so much sugar that there's no way the ec-1118 can ferment it all. I have to bottle after about 1 &1/2 to 2 weeks or the yeast will go inactive. Both are risky, but require no extra work! The only complaint I have with the second method is it can be too sweet.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #24
prosserbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Update

So I followed my recipe above and after 4 days I was at 1.028. Bottled, let carb for the 2 days and then pasteurized at 180 for 20 min (note, the temp started dripping and I turned on the burner for a bit - terrible idea and exploding bottles everywhere in the kettle - lesson learned).

The taste almost 3 weeks from bottling very nice, sweet, and about what I wanted. My only gripe is that I am getting some yeast flavors still though that have mellowed now vs. a few days after pasteurizing (mostly if you burp)

Next batch, I am going to up the sugar, try and do a secondary rack (or maybe cold crash to get some more yeast out of suspension before bottling) I also might try to pitch two versions with one using a different yeast like a champagne variety.

All in all a good first effort.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #25
LoreleiHI
Recipes 

My roommate loves Crabbie's, and I wanted to brew something that she'll enjoy. I've made a few things, but it's been a while, so I thought I'd run this by the hivemind.

5 g water
2 lb ginger
3 lb light pilsner DME
2.5 lb corn sugar
S-05

I'm lactose intolerant, so using that to boost sweetness is a no-go. We both like strong ginger flavor. We have a storage area that stays at 67° in summer, so that's a plus!

Any thoughts or tips?

Lorelei & Tracy's Yarnwork & Vintage

Old 07-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #26
RedOktoberfest
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't think corn sugar will help boost sweetness unless you are stopping the yeast somehow. It will only bump ABV. What if you used a maltodextrin DME to boost body? I'm not one to use artificial sweetener but if I was lactose intolerant I bet I would use em.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #27
LoreleiHI
Recipes 

I'm building the recipe off others in this thread. Most seem to have used straight corn sugar, with lactose to sweeten, as it comes out dry. Crabbie's is a malt ginger ale, but very light and sweet--almost soda-like--so I've taken half the corn sugar (and a bit more) and turned it to DME. If I had an all-grain set up, I'd do something like that.

Quick Reply