Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger beer (alcoholic)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
Peppers16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaldera
Try fermenting 4 to 5 days only, and then bottling without priming.
As dacaldera goes on to mention, this is pretty dangerous. If you do this make sure you pasteurize or store in a fridge for life. Bottle bombs are not to be taken lightly!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
dcmtnbkr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I made this recipe but added a pound of lactose to sweeten it and one pack of US-05 because it was what I had on hand. I chopped up the ginger in a food processor and am wondering if I made a mistake. The ginger flavor is VERY strong. Does it fade during fermentation or with age?

Also, what final gravity did you get (assuming you let ferment all the way out)?
When do you add the lactose?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #13
dcmtnbkr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I just brewed my first ginger beer. Used 2lb ginger, 3lb corn sugar, 3lb table sugar, the juice of 10 lemons and the zest of 2 lemons. I put the ginger through a food processor then steeped it in hot water for 3 hours. Boiled that with the lemon juice and zest with 2 gallons of water, added the sugars when it reached boiling and simmered for fifteen minutes, cooled and added water to get five gallons. Added 1tsp of cinnamon. Letting it ferment on the ginger to hopefully get more flavor from it. Using a lelvin champagne yeast and five tsp yeast nutrient. Had an og of 1.060 at ninety degrees. Hopefully the sugar will ferment all the way out and give me about 6-7 percent abv. I then plan to back sweeten with 1lb of lactose when I rack to secondary. Any thoughts?

Old 08-31-2012, 03:21 AM   #14
The_General
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmtnbkr View Post
When do you add the lactose?
I mixed the sugar, lactose, ginger, and lime zest and simmered for about 15 minutes. It started at about 1.053 and fermented down to about 1.001. I thought there would be a bit more residual sugar.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
jroth420
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

That's the same problem I had, along with bottles exploding (which is a first for me) due to the fermentation continuing so far after it was bottled. It was ideal when I bottled, but just dried out completely. The only reasonable solution that I have found is to bottle, let carbonate and then pasteurize the bottles to kill the yeast and stop the fermentation.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #16
snortwheeze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

}:-)

Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
alchemedes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Let's say if you don't make a big batch, maybe 1-2 gallons, then after you bottle you could store the bottles in the fridge and drink them at your leisure without worry of continuing fermentation and bottle bombs. Am I on the right track here, or should one fear bottle bombs even in the fridge?

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemedes View Post
Let's say if you don't make a big batch, maybe 1-2 gallons, then after you bottle you could store the bottles in the fridge and drink them at your leisure without worry of continuing fermentation and bottle bombs. Am I on the right track here, or should one fear bottle bombs even in the fridge?
The risk is reduced in the fridge, but not eliminated. I'd use plastic soda bottles, which can handle a lot more pressure than glass bottles and if they explode it's messy but not too dangerous.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
alchemedes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The risk is reduced in the fridge, but not eliminated. I'd use plastic soda bottles, which can handle a lot more pressure than glass bottles and if they explode it's messy but not too dangerous.

Agreed, the "squeeze-method" is good to check building pressure. I've cold crashed filled soda bottles many, many times though and I've always had them stay at the same hardness over several weeks or months even - so that makes me feel a little bit safer.

I think where I was going with my previous question goes a little deeper into my own thoughts on the fact that I want to move away from ugly PET bottles, to nice shiny glass ones, but worry about not being able to tell if there is continued fermentation even under cold conditions. This is all because I am afraid of the stove top pasturization process.

What a freaking dilemma!

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
dcmtnbkr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ended up at about 1.000 so the sugar fermented all the way out. Back sweetened with 1lb lactose, but it didnt add much sweetness. It's in secondary now to clear out. Per my calculations based on temp and fg, im getting about 8.4 %, figure in i added about 3 cups of water with the lactose, and im probably at about 8.2 or so. Very strong. Anyone have any ideas for a sweetener i can add when going to keg? Something very sweet without too much after taste.

Quick Reply