Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger Ale - Make it burn!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
jamesdawsey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Ooh, now to try gingerman's suggestions!

Oh, @likefully. Yes and yes. Though I wouldn't recommend pitching on an old yeast cake because of the possibilities of getting old trub and/or hop particles into your ginger beer as well as off flavors from over pitching/stressing your yeast between the brews. But worst scenario you're out 15-20 bucks and a couple hours. Heck. Give it a shot!

Also, sodas are generally more carbonated than most beers so it couldn't hurt to add a "heaping" 3/4 cups of sugar. Nonetheless, too little carbonation doesn't explode on you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Likefully
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interesting recipe here and advice to freeze the ginger to break the cells http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/30...h-brew-no-kit/

Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
nhwrecker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

So this Ginger ale - just needs to be fermented for a week or so, and then bottled and/or kegged? Sounds like a great, quick summer drink that I've never heard of........

Damn. I've got to get a better signature.

Borderline Brewing Co. Nashua, NH

Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
Likefully
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have some left over centennial hops (50 grams) which i doubt i will get to use in a beer before i move houses later in the year. Would it be worth adding these to the mix?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
gingerman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likefully
I have some left over centennial hops (50 grams) which i doubt i will get to use in a beer before i move houses later in the year. Would it be worth adding these to the mix?
I actually just tried a ginger brew with (Crystal) hops. Timed them at 1/2 oz for 15 min, then 1/2 oz for 5 min (for a 3 gallon batch). Did not like. It just tasted like a bad IPA. I ended up flushing both experimental hopped batches (one used champagne yeast and the other cote de blanc yeast). YMMV though.

In my humble opinion, keep the ginger brews low ABV and without hops, and you'll get optimal flavor.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #16
Likefully
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerman View Post
I actually just tried a ginger brew with (Crystal) hops. Timed them at 1/2 oz for 15 min, then 1/2 oz for 5 min (for a 3 gallon batch). Did not like. It just tasted like a bad IPA. I ended up flushing both experimental hopped batches (one used champagne yeast and the other cote de blanc yeast). YMMV though.

In my humble opinion, keep the ginger brews low ABV and without hops, and you'll get optimal flavor.
Thank you. I had a feeling hops would be a bad idea.

Even SWMBO is excited about this ginger beer brew! I am going to follow a reverse brewing process - boil first, then dump into the mash tun for an hour (my mash tun is lined with a grain sack), drain onto the yeast cake...tell SWMBO to practice some patience while this thing brews

Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
jamesdawsey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

@likefully = ew, no hops in ginger ale. Try what you like, but IMHO gingerman's got the idea.

@nhwrecker = yes, ferment just as you would beer. Just different ingredients. Great for those hot summer days.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
nhwrecker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Thanks James, definitely getting put on the short list.

Damn. I've got to get a better signature.

Borderline Brewing Co. Nashua, NH

Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So, I'm giving a version of the OP recipe a go. I threw 4 peeled lemons in the food processor with the ginger in lieu of the juice, and soaked a few chunks of peels and some spices (couple cinnamon sticks, a couple cloves, a cardamom pod or two, a few allspice balls and a dose of vanilla extract).

The tea/wort/must/whatever is cooling now and I'm curious about the health of the yeast in this mixture. This has to be a highly acidic environment with very low nutrients for yeast I would think... Think a tbs or two of yeast nutrient would help the guys out a bit?

James, have you had any issues getting this thing to start?

Anybody tried backsweetening it?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
jamesdawsey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I don't backsweeten anything. I know, I know. Anyways this is not a sweet drink at all. One method to add some sweetness that I have done is steep half a pound of rye malt (or whatever your favorite specialty malt is). This way you add some unfermentable sugars and don't need to go through the backsweetening thing.

Also, I've never had any issues at all with fermentation, and I've never used yeast nutrient. I would try it without first. Using nutrient when it's unnecessary can give you the same off-flavors as over-pitching (bready, yeast bite, unwanted esters, etc.). However, I've never added so many spices either. Please let us know how it tastes when it's done. If it's delicious, share the recipe!

Quick Reply