New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Force-carbed soda bottles getting infections - preservatives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
TheWeisOne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Force-carbed soda bottles getting infections - preservatives?

I just made a 5gal batch of a honey cream soda, force carbonated in my keg and bottled into glass using a counter-pressure bottle filler. Most of the batch was drunk the day after carbonation, and it turned out great. Within 3-4 days, though, the remaining bottles all had a distinct layer of sediment at the bottom, increased carbonation levels, and a slight off-taste - obviously some nasties got in somehow.

Everything was well sanitized, but I'm thinking part of the problem was my recipe; most commercial sodas you see have preservatives and/or extra acid (phosphoric, ascorbic, citric, etc), but my recipe had none (honey + brown sugar + molasses + vanilla extract). I'm guessing the role of the acid is to help stave off infection. Does anyone have any tips for adding safe preservatives? How to formulate a recipe that involves a sufficiently low PH? Anything else to help stave off infection?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What was your recipe process? Did you heat the honey and sweetners in some fashion? It sounds like it started fermenting from some natural yeasts which either weren't killed off during the pasturizing process, or had gotten a hold somewhere from something that wasn't sanitized. If you sanitized, then I'd guess it was the pasturizing process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply