Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > First time soda making questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
buffcoat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First time soda making questions

So the better half wanted some birchbeer. I bought the little extract bottle. Seems easy enough. Add water sugar extract bottle and yeast. It says ale yeast champagne yeast or bread yeast (that ain't gonna happen).

Questions are, sugar+yeast=alcohol. I don't really want an alcoholic birchbeer. Secondly the guys at the lhbs said I can bottle these in 12oz bottles, the same ones that I use for my beer. Wouldn't the pressure from the carbonation give me bottle bombs? I really have no way of keeping these fridge cold. I kinda wanted to store them on the shelf with my other tasty beverages. Can this be done safely?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
uncommonsense
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

When i make soda i do it in 2 liter soda bottle. Mix it all up and rehydrate the 1/8 tbsp of yeast then add it all to the botte. Shake it. Then let it sit at room temp tell the bottle is rock hard the stick it in the fridge for a week. There is very little alcohol in it, just keep it cold and the yeast will stay sleeping.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffcoat View Post
bread yeast (that ain't gonna happen).
Hey!

I wandered in here from the mead/cider forums because I have a packet of bread yeast left and thought I'd make a soda.

The reason you use champagne or bread yeast is because they're both bred to make TONS of gas. I pitched a cider yesterday with Fleischmanns and in two hours it outpaced both of my other projects (admittedly made with cider and ale yeasts) in sheer airlock bubbling fury. Pretty cool

So yes, you will have alcohol, but it won't be much compared to the immense volume of gas you'll be seeing. I think that's why many rootbeer kit directions include "let it sit til the bottle gets hard and then FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUT IT IN YOUR FRIDGE BEFORE YOU LOSE A HAND"

Edited to add: If you go ahead with the project, be sure to come back and tell us how it went - what yeast you used, initial and final specific gravity readings (because you were concerned about alcohol) and whether it tasted bready if you use the bread yeast

-Jordan
Who will try to ferment just about anything
"You guys just wanna get bombed and run around yelling yarr we're vikings!"

Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could try pasturization. There's a sticky in the cider thread.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Quick Reply