The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > First Root Beer - 1/2 liter water bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
alfista
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default First Root Beer - 1/2 liter water bottles?

I'm about to try a batch of root beer with my son using champagne yeast and extract. My homebrew shopkeep recommended I use plastic bottles I was wondering if 1/2 liter water bottles worked well, creating individual servings, as we don't have many 2 liter bottles kicking around. The plastic of the water bottle is a little thinner than a 2 liter, but I don't know how significant that might be. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista View Post
I'm about to try a batch of root beer with my son using champagne yeast and extract. My homebrew shopkeep recommended I use plastic bottles I was wondering if 1/2 liter water bottles worked well, creating individual servings, as we don't have many 2 liter bottles kicking around. The plastic of the water bottle is a little thinner than a 2 liter, but I don't know how significant that might be. Any thoughts?
I'd use 20 ounce soda bottles. Water bottles are thinner, and not designed to hold carbonation. They might blow up easily.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
hook_dupin
Recipes 

I just brewed up a root beer batch and put it in a host of different bottles. I used 2L and 500 ml soda bottles, wide-mouth 500 ml Gatorade bottles, and 500 ml water bottles. The water bottles worked ok at keeping the carb, but their thinness caused the bottom of the bottle to push outwards so the bottom was convex. You couldn't stand the bottles up. My advice - it will work...just get some 6-pack holders or something to stand them up in the fridge.

Planned: American Wit
Primary: None
Secondary: Abbeyish Ale
Conditioning: None

Quick Reply