The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Faucets for dispensing seltzer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 03:26 AM   #11
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I did this too, at first, but I found over time that the violence of the pour brought CO2 out of solution way too fast. Another 15 foot resolved that and now it dispenses like a soda fountain.
I actually had to get some stuff from McMaster so got a couple bayonets to give them a shot before adding more tubing to my system. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #12
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzsit View Post
bad idea. brass and copper in the presence of carbonic acid results in toxic compounds being released into the carbonated water.....

only use plastic or stainless steel for soda water.
eh?? oh, you mean carbonated water... they are chrome plated brass (the one below)... but either that or i will drill a hole and put a picnic tap with a bulkhead in my fridge. will look like hell, but i don't want to spend ~$90 for a 4th 425ss, ss shank, ss tail piece, ss flange, etc.

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just carbed up a 5 G keg of water for seltzer. It fully carbs a lot quicker than beer. I just use my Perlick 425SS, when I have beer for that slot--then the C02 will have to make way.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingkitty View Post
eh?? oh, you mean carbonated water... they are chrome plated brass (the one below)... but either that or i will drill a hole and put a picnic tap with a bulkhead in my fridge. will look like hell, but i don't want to spend ~$90 for a 4th 425ss, ss shank, ss tail piece, ss flange, etc.

you don't need a perlick-style ss faucet for soda since sticky faucet syndrome won't be a problem. micromatic and others make traditional-style faucets that are all stainless and don't cost much more than a chromed brass faucet. i have no idea where you got that $90 figure from..

Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, it turns out this idea does work! I put 4 of the little stirrer sticks down the dip tube (they're flexible, so they even went around the bend) and got an absolutely perfect pour at 40 psi with a 3' hose and a picnic tap!

McMaster part #74695A58.

-Joe

Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yup, I'm running two in both of my water kegs (one carbing, one in use). Might double that just to see how much of a difference it makes. I only keep mine at 30 psi though.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
gromfy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I use the standard Perlick 425SS and 25' of 3/16 line coiled up around my seltzer keg.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is the 25' to reduce the speed/strength of the pour? I just put together a seltzer system with a motorized carbonator and a 425SS, with only about 2' of line. At 45 psi, it comes out too violently to control. Is the solution to coil up a bunch of dispensing length in the fridge?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #18
strumke
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromfy View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is the 25' to reduce the speed/strength of the pour? I just put together a seltzer system with a motorized carbonator and a 425SS, with only about 2' of line. At 45 psi, it comes out too violently to control. Is the solution to coil up a bunch of dispensing length in the fridge?
Yup, that's all you need to do. I have about 25' of 3/16 line at 25psi and it works great!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #19
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have like 6 feet of 1/8" line... works perfectly.

-Eric

Old 10-02-2011, 02:12 AM   #20
gromfy
Recipes 

I just put in 35' of 1/8 and am astonished at what a huge difference it made. Probably too much...I may shorten it.

The physics mystifies me. I expected that a more narrow tube would increase pressure, like a smaller nozzle on a garden hose. It must be due to friction?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Quick Reply