Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Extract...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
Kalifornian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract...

Hello, long time browser, first time poster. LOL
I bought some sarsaparilla and wild cherry soda base bottles from Columbia Soda Works in Columbia, Ca. The ingredients are water, citric acid, alcohol, artificial flavor and color, with less than 1% sodium benzoate and it's a 2 oz. bottle. The instructions say to make a syrup with 2lbs honey, 4.5c water and the soda base and store in a cool location... then add 2-3 tbsp of that to club soda to make a single glass of soda.
I want to do all of this, but bottled with natural carbonation.

I figure honey ounces (liquid) to be 1.5x the weight= 2lbs= 32oz x 1.5= 48 liquid oz of honey added to;
4.5c water= 36 liquid oz of water

So the syrup will be 36 + 48 + 2 (extract)= 86 oz = 172 TBSP

To find out how much water per batch- 172 TBSP/ (2.5 TBSP/drink)= 68.8 drinks x (8 oz water/drink)= 550 oz of water/batch.

So they want me to mix 86 oz of syrup with 550 oz of carbonated water to make a full 5 gallon batch of soda.

Can I simply mix everything up in my brew kettle, boil it, cool it, pitch it with some ale yeast, bottle it in glass bottles, monitor carbonation with 1 plastic bottle, then refrigerate or stove top pasteurize?

I have some limited homebrew experience with kits, and have done about 15 of them without a failure or bottle bomb yet... but I am new to bottling a sweet drink, such as a soda.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4662 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

The purpose of benzoate is to inhibit fermentation by yeast and bacteria. That's why they tell you to add it to soda water- it won't ferment.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Kalifornian
Recipes 

LOL, I was afraid of that. Guess I'll have to look up a recipe for club soda and go about it that way.
Thanks for the response.

Quick Reply