Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Dr. Pepper Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #51
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Here's the latest version of the recipe. I would say it's moving in the right direction.

1/2 cup black cherry juice. Just Black Cherry, R.W. Knudsen Family brand.
scant 2 quarts filtered water.
1 cup granulated sugar.
1 tsp molasses. Grandma's original, unsulphured.
1 tsp rum flavoring. Watkins
1/2 cup lemon juice. ReaLemon 100% juice.
2 tsp vanilla extract.
1 tsp wine tannin.

The wine tannin does add to the missing astringency nicely. The fresh mix is not as astringent as I would like, but I'm thinking the tannin is likely to extract into the liquid more as it sits, so I'm reserving judgement. The cherry flavor index is a little to high. To much "stone fruit" flavor. The almond flavoring was a straight up flavor miss, so I dropped it this time. The kola nut seemed like it would be right, but it wasn't. It's flavor profile was to spicy. Rum flavor is a bit over the top.

It's hard to judge the acid profile at this point, it tastes completely off right now. However, I think most of the acid profile is actually from the carbonic acid from the carbonation. I won't be able to tell how close things are until the mix has chilled and I can carbonate it. That won't be until tomorrow.

I'm actually fairly pleased with how this latest batch is going. It's still not right, but it's much closer then any of the other attempts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #52
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tasted this after carbonating. The acid is messed up. I think there is way to much lemon juice in this right now.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #53
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 565 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 1605

Subscribed. Keep up the good work.

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #54
CYBERpsycotic
Recipes 

Hi,

I just got a Soda Stream machine and bought the Dr Pete mix. I am a Dr Pepper guy and that mix to me is horrible. Its entirely too sweet. I started searching around hoping to find a good recipe for DP but its seems like everyone is having a difficult time replicating it. A lot I've come across seem to have some luck with Amaretto, Almond and Ginger in addition to the last several posted recipes. I have no experience at all in this area but I may try my hand at it soon. I'm sure the sweetener is a big deal...sugar, high fructose corn syrup...so on. Cherry has to be a must because the 'Cherry' versions of DP taste roughly the same but stronger cherry flavor obviously.

I hope someone is able to clone it.

all I know about DP is there are "23 flavors" in it . . .
1. Amaretto
2. Almond
3. Blackberry
4. Black Licorice
5. Carrot
6. Clove
7. Cherry
8. Caramel
9. Cola
10. Ginger
11. Juniper
12. Lemon
13. Molasses
14. Nutmeg
15. Orange
16. Prune
17. Plum
18. Pepper
19. Root Beer
20. Rum
21. Raspberry
22. Tomato
23. Vanilla

With that I know the root beer I am working on has 20+ ingredients besides water, CO2 and sugar . . . and thats only 1 "flavor of DP so good luck . . .

Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #55
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I think that sounds way too complex. Maybe once dr pepper was fancy and subtle, but probably not now. I remember long ago they used to sell a 20 sided can of it at the Johnson ranch not too far from the dr pepper museum in TX that tasted special.

Anyway, in some thread here I reported getting a close match by accident... sort of hit just between dr pepper and cherry dr pepper with only 2 ingredients! I used black cherry concentrate and agave syrup... period! I may try adding some artificial nut flavors I happen to have on hand, including ameretto. This is with sodastream.

These were very particular ingredients. The agave was xagave, which uniquely is a blend of the very different blue and white agave. Agave is getting insanely expensive due to the popularity of making premium tequila from it, but I get the huge container from a club store and use very little. It packs a tremendous punch of sweetness, more than almost any other substance, so you don't need much (and it is healthy with a very low glycemic index). Complex mapley flavors.

The black cherry was definitely not anything like a flavor syrup... it is the medicinal health variety of simple boiled down black cherries with no sugar. Tart, and not delicious by itself... I think it is marketed mostly at gout patients and you can get reasonable mailorder deals. In combo these two have pretty much all the taste complexity of modern dr pepper in a more wholesome package.

That same xagave makes fantastic root beer with the humble supercheap-by-the-dozen zaterains root beer extract. You have got to exactly balance the sweetness... basically minimize it to only barely counter the bite of the roots. You can make it rich or lean... I just made a super lean batch that just can't be beat for refreshing taste. Very healthy, but the xagave price is getting almost too much to bear.

Tripping on carbonic acid, high on fructose!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #56
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Try some Brett Naardenensis to get some of that fruity tartness - it was isolated from Dr. Pepper to begin with. Perhaps a small side batch (1 gallon) added back to syrup mix, and then stabilized to keep further fermentation from occurring. IDK, an idea anyway.

Quote:
ECY30 - B. naardenensis - An intriguing species of Brettanomyces that creates an abundance of acidity quickly with ripe fruit; mousy-tainted flavors and acetic acid initially. An extensive aging of several months will mellow into strawberry-like esters (~ 6 months).

Old 03-23-2014, 02:59 AM   #57
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft View Post
....Anyway, in some thread here I reported getting a close match by accident... sort of hit just between dr pepper and cherry dr pepper with only 2 ingredients!...
That's interesting. It hadn't occured to me to change the sugar base out from just sucrose. It might be worth some time trying honey, or some alternate sugars.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #58
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3341 Times on 3086 Posts
Likes Given: 231

My wife and I have been to Dr. Pepper in Dublin, when it was there, and Waco, Tx. They were adamant that there are no prunes, prune juice or prune flavor in DP. They know it's a popular belief, but said, nope, that ain't what gives it the flavor.

Believe it or not, Ripley

Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #59
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
My wife and I have been to Dr. Pepper in Dublin, when it was there, and Waco, Tx. They were adamant that there are no prunes, prune juice or prune flavor in DP. They know it's a popular belief, but said, nope, that ain't what gives it the flavor.

Believe it or not, Ripley
I believe it. There is some flavor that makes me think there is a stone fruit juice in it though. I would say black cherry juice is the most likely, based on the overall flavor profile.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 AM   #60
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here is the latest version of the recipe.

1/2 tsp of gentian root boiled in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp molasses, grandma's original unsulphured
2 tsp Mexican vanilla extract
1/2 tsp rum flavoring, watkins
1/4 cup just black cherry juice, R.W. Knudsen family

The result is a little on the weak side. It also still needs an astringent addition. The next version I think I'll add a tsp of powdered tannin to the gentian when it's boiling. Like I said, it still needs an acid, but not citric or common lemon or lime juice. Those have other flavors that don't really work in the recipe.

Quick Reply