Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Does the yeast give off a funny taste? What about alcohol content?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
cjeanean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Default Does the yeast give off a funny taste? What about alcohol content?

While waiting for my first batch of cider to ferment, I thought I'd try something that only takes a few days. However, there are a few questions I have about soda making with yeast.

1. Does yeast carbonation cause the soda to have a weird taste?

2. How long do these homemade sodas stay carbonated before and after opening? If I decide to bottle in 2-liters, when people are pouring their drinks how long before the soda falls flat?

3. Has anyone used the stovetop pasteurization method for soda? I will be using glass beer bottles, and keeping all of these bottles in my fridge isn't an option. Neither is using a carb machine, so killing the yeast through pasteurization is my only viable option.

Thanks!

ETA: I found another thread with an answer to the alcohol thing, so now I'm just wondering about the stovetop pasteurization, the longevity of carbonation, and the yeast taste. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply