New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Does anyone have a recipie for Moxie??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
MDVDuber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Does anyone have a recipie for Moxie??

Yes I know - Long shot since 75% of you are probably saying WHAT? And about 60% of the remainder are saying YUCK! Why would you want to????

For those of you who don't know Moxie is a soda that as far as I know is only available in New England, and The further south in New England you go the less likely I am to find it. Anyhow, I grew up drinking it and now that I live in Maryland need to wait till my annual visit home to stock up.

What does it taste like? Well - sort of like Moxie... No really, when folks first try it there is a sort of initial HA - It's nothing special it tastes like Root Beer or Dr Pepper or....OH! What's that flavor?!?!? And then only about 40% go back for a second sip. For you Hop Heads - I liken it to a late hop bitterness, but not one I can relate to a specific hop flavor.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for your help!

For Further Reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie (It says available in PA - But I've never found it)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
green_bierz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just looked for it on amazon.com. its on there. Some pricey shipping though. At least shipping it to Colorado. But good luck. Is the bite from ginger?

Old 06-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Take a recipe for rootbeer and double it, subtract the sugar, add some dirt and roots/bark. It is definitely its own thing.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
Vagenius
Recipes 

I live in Maine, and have access to seemingly unlimited moxie.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
MDVDuber

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagenius View Post
I live in Maine, and have access to seemingly unlimited moxie.
I grew up in Southern Maine. Moving south of the Mason Dixon has brought with it some challenges. Primarily no good ice hockey and no Moxie (there are others but I don't want to offend my Virginian wife....).

I do not think the flavor is ginger - we cook lots of Asian food and ginger is a pretty familiar flavor. I've always assumed the Gentian Root was the secret ingredient - but I've tried adding Angostura Bitters to stuff and not realized the flavor of Moxie.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
MDVDuber

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
Take a recipe for rootbeer and double it, subtract the sugar, add some dirt and roots/bark. It is definitely its own thing.
And you would be one of the 60% or so that just doesn't like it. Understood, it's definitely unique.

I actually ran a semi-scientific experiment recently - ok so it was a total joke, but.... A friend's wife was teaching a middle school Social Studies class and they were studying New England. When she found out I had Moxie she asked for some for her class. I said fine - but I want a count of who likes it and who doesn't. It was pretty much a 60/40 split.

I gotta admit that the first time I had it I wasn't convinced, but think back to the first beer you ever had (and forget that it was probably a BMC), you didn't like it either, but were strangely intrigued.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Well, I wasn't just being a smart ass. It is kinda like rootbeer and has way less sugar than any other pop or colas. One of the ingredients is a root or bark of something which I can't remember right now. I'll have to give it another try.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
MDVDuber

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
Well, I wasn't just being a smart ass. It is kinda like rootbeer and has way less sugar than any other pop or colas. One of the ingredients is a root or bark of something which I can't remember right now. I'll have to give it another try.
No sweat - it's an acquired taste no doubt. So where is the "Middle Of Nowhere"? I've been to a few of those - and there I go being a smart ass....

Old 06-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #9
brewingmeister
Recipes 

It varies, I know moxie from regularly going to southern Maine. My wife's grandmother has a cabin...when I say cabin I really mean uninsulated rotting shack with pond water coming out the tap.
What's your avitar pic? From the handle I'm guessing autocrossing a vw.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
Vagenius
Recipes 

I think there is fennel in it. I just drank a liter of it as part of a dare. I liked it better now than 3 years ago.

Quick Reply