Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Diet soda cost confusion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Bonjourmate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Diet soda cost confusion.

Duplicate of my post at Reddit's /r/homebrewing, but I figure someone here might have an answer.

Was planning on making diet cherry soda to give myself a break from beer (heresy, I know), but trying to find a sugar substitute that is even remotely cost efficient seems impossible.

Using [Old Fashioned Cherry Soda Extract](http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/miscellany/soda/cherry-soda-extract.html), the recipe calls for 8 cups of sugar. I know from a Food Science course I took that sugar substitutes are way, WAY sweeter than actual sugar. I figured I'd use Sucralose (i.e., Splenda) as it's rated as [600 times sweeter than sugar](http://www.powerbar.com/articles/165/how-sweet-it-is-the-truth-about-sugar--sweeteners.aspx), but when I look at [Splenda's site for cooking conversions](http://www.splenda.com/cooking-baking/conversion-charts), it tells you to measure replace Splenda cup for cup with sugar in recipes... how the hell is it 600 times sweeter if I'm doing a 1:1 replacement?! If you think about how many bags of Splenda it'd take to equal 8 cups, it'd end up costing $40-50 for 4 gallons of soda.

Am I looking at something completely wrong here?

EDIT: Sorry, the odd looking links. Works perfectly in a Reddit post, but not worth the trouble to completely reformat the post.

Last edited by Bonjourmate; 07-29-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Because

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sucralose on it's own is 600 times sweeter. The splenda cooking conversions are based on their product that you buy in bags next to the sugar, those are actually sucralose on a maltodextrin carrier for ease of use, cup for cup. An bag of Splenda from the store I think should be about $8-9, less if you're going with the store brand (I know Walmart has these). The bag is the equivalent of 5lbs of sugar, which would be about 10 cups.

I'm not sure where your $40-50 estimate comes in, unless you're looking at the teaspoon sized packets, which may or may not be the same stuff in the bags, I'm not sure.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Bonjourmate
Recipes 

Didn't see any packages that size at Cub. I just said screw using cut product and ordered pure sucralose. 50 grams for $18 with shipping. I'll need just under 3 grams for a 4 gallon batch.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Where did you find the pure sucralose? Might be useful to have around.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Bonjourmate
Recipes 

Amazon. Just search pure sucralose. Looks like bodybuilders are the primary clients; make their own supplement mixes.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Proboscidea
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 87

If you have a Trader Joe's in the vicinity, you might want to experiment with their $10 highly concentrated Stevia Extract (the one in the smaller spice-jar-looking container, not the larger bottle). It comes in powder form, with a teeny-tiny scoop that gives the sweetness equivalent of 1 teaspoon of sugar. I think there are something like 900 servings per jar.

You can do the math to find out what it would take for a whole batch of soda, but I strongly encourage you to start with half as much as you've calculated you need, and add more to taste. In that level of concentrated-ness, the lines between "too little" and "enough" and "bleccccccchhhhh bad bad gross evil" are razor-thin. Ask me how I know (as the memories of a ruined labor-intensive sugar-free chocolate mousse come washing back).

Fermenting:
CellarCraft Sterling Collection Barbera (kit) -- first entrée into grape wines

Bottled recently:
Ginger mead (3gal), EdWort's Apfelwein (3gal)

Old 08-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Some dude on eBay is selling 1oz packets of pure crystalline neotame powder for $45 - sounds steep until you realize that it's equivalent to 450 pounds of sugar.

'course, you'll need a good .001g scale to measure out enough for a 5 gallon batch.

You can also get a quarter ounce of pure sucralose for $8 shipped, which is about enough for 10 gallons of cola.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Bonjourmate
Recipes 

I almost ordered neotame until I realized my scale was insufficient for measuring a dose small enough

Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourmate View Post
I almost ordered neotame until I realized my scale was insufficient for measuring a dose small enough
You could make a cut in a solution of water. 1 mg per liter = 1ppm. Then use the solution to sweeten your beverage.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourmate View Post
I bought some straight caffeine a while back and then realized i needed a milligram scale.

I ended up paying something like $16 shipped for a chinese .001g scale that works reasonably well for measuring out caffeine. My only complaint about it is that the surface to weigh things on is the size of a dime, and the little bowl it came with is only big enough for a couple grams.

Quick Reply