Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Dedicated Sping Water Soda Water Machine Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #51
sarink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You know the small round/hollow metal piece that sits inside a check valve (it holds an o ring, and the ball/spring sit inside of it)? What do you call those? One of mine is broken, and I'm having a really hard time locating a new one. Any ideas?

Also, I've noticed some what looks like rusty water very slowly dripping off of the pressure tank (same tank as you, though I must have something just a little bit loose). Has this happened to you? Should that tank be aluminum instead of steel?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #52
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarink View Post
You know the small round/hollow metal piece that sits inside a check valve (it holds an o ring, and the ball/spring sit inside of it)? What do you call those? One of mine is broken, and I'm having a really hard time locating a new one. Any ideas?

Also, I've noticed some what looks like rusty water very slowly dripping off of the pressure tank (same tank as you, though I must have something just a little bit loose). Has this happened to you? Should that tank be aluminum instead of steel?
Can't help you on the check valve.

Noticed no rust with mine. Never seen an aluminum pressure tank.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #53
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz420NJ View Post
I didn't see if anyone asked yet, but how long is your CO2 tank lasting just making seltzer? I will be using Flojet CO2 powered syrup pumps in mine, so I know it will go faster, but since there's not much difference in price here for filling a 20# vs a 50# tank (beyond the difference in the initial tank purchase), I'm wondering which I should go with.. It will be mostly soda water use.
I just finally had to refill my #20 cylinder. It lasted from 3/8/13 to 3/25/14 (today). So it lasted me a whole year + a couple of weeks. I'd estimate my wife and I drink about 3 gallons a week so if that is accurate, then a 20# cylinder is good for about 160 gallons of soda water.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #54
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Update

Those of you that had been following this thread may remember that I reported that some of my tubing was balooning from too much pressure and heat in the garage. I had purchased higher pressure rated tubing a while back but just got to installing it yesterday. I was afraid if I put it off much longer especially with another summer coming up and the garage getting hot again that it would burst on me.

I also made a little change in how I ran the tubing. I changed it so the tee is no longer underneath the pressure tank. I put a new tee close to the pressure pump. There is one less hose to run through the wall this way. I also took this opportunity to elimate all my PVC fittings as I did have a litte trouble before with a couple of them cracking.

I'm pretty confident that I've got all the bugs in my system worked out now and it's going to be reliable for a long time to come.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #55
sarink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Can you tell us specifically what sort of tubing/where you got it from?

What fittings did you use on your waterworks tank? I've seen some rust dripping from the bottom of mine and I'm not sure why/what to do about it?

What did you use to fill the hole in the fridge? I haven't filled mine and I think the outside air is causing condensation and is the reason the inside of my fridge is so damp (also, perhaps responsible/related to the rusty drip from the waterworks tank?) I want to fill the hole with something that isn't totally permanent, so that I can easily swap hoses in the future if I need to, or take it apart for maintenance or something.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2014, 02:35 AM   #56
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarink View Post
Can you tell us specifically what sort of tubing/where you got it from?
What fittings did you use on your waterworks tank? I've seen some rust dripping from the bottom of mine and I'm not sure why/what to do about it?
What did you use to fill the hole in the fridge? I haven't filled mine and I think the outside air is causing condensation and is the reason the inside of my fridge is so damp (also, perhaps responsible/related to the rusty drip from the waterworks tank?) I want to fill the hole with something that isn't totally permanent, so that I can easily swap hoses in the future if I need to, or take it apart for maintenance or something.
Thanks!
I got THIS 3/8" tubing I got and I got it from Apex Beverage along with 15.7 mm ear clamps.
Thats just an ordinary galvanized 3/4" elbow on the bottom of the tank and then a nipple and a reducing bell for the brass barb fitting.

I'm not getting any condensation or drips in my fridge at all. I used that spray foam stuff from Home Depot to seal up the hole. Worked really well.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #57
carrera32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
Thats just an ordinary galvanized 3/4" elbow on the bottom of the tank and then a nipple and a reducing bell for the brass barb fitting.
I also built a home system, but you may want to consider replacing the galvanized elbow. I believe that metal is not safe for drinking water:

http://www.superpages.com/supertips/...ized-pipe.html

"Although galvanized pipe has been previously used to transport drinking water, now is is more often used for sewage and irrigation plumbing. Most of these pipes contain lead, which make them unsuitable for drinking water. However, galvanized pipes can be replaced with newer lead-free models, and may still be used for non-drinking water plumbing."

Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #58
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera32 View Post
I also built a home system, but you may want to consider replacing the galvanized elbow. I believe that metal is not safe for drinking water:

http://www.superpages.com/supertips/...ized-pipe.html

"Although galvanized pipe has been previously used to transport drinking water, now is is more often used for sewage and irrigation plumbing. Most of these pipes contain lead, which make them unsuitable for drinking water. However, galvanized pipes can be replaced with newer lead-free models, and may still be used for non-drinking water plumbing."
Actually, that's is misleading.
Unused galvanized pipe does not contain lead. However, used galvanized pipe can have accumulated and release lead if they've ever been used with lead service pipes. Galvanized pipe is still considered safe and still sometimes used for potable water.

Galvanized pipe can and does corrode, especially when the pH of the water is less than 7. It's one reason why it's not used very much anymore. The pH of the water I'm using is above 7.

I used that fitting because I had it on hand. It does have a limited life but on the order of 40 years. Not worth changing out. I won't be alive that long.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #59
carrera32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
Actually, that's is misleading.
Unused galvanized pipe does not contain lead. However, used galvanized pipe can have accumulated and release lead if they've ever been used with lead service pipes. Galvanized pipe is still considered safe and still sometimes used for potable water.

Galvanized pipe can and does corrode, especially when the pH of the water is less than 7. It's one reason why it's not used very much anymore. The pH of the water I'm using is above 7.

I used that fitting because I had it on hand. It does have a limited life but on the order of 40 years. Not worth changing out. I won't be alive that long.
Good to know. I played it safe and used lead free brass. Nice work on your project!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #60
bryanf650
Recipes 

Beautiful build. I've been contemplating building a continuous system with the carbonator tank in the fridge to avoid all the cold plate/flash chiller hassles. I want to add mine to an existing bar and was wondering if you could simply connect the input to the carbonator from the house water supply. Obviously it wouldn't come in cold, but I don't anticipate using it to continuously produce seltzer, just a few glasses a night.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply