The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Cream Soda Recipe with vanilla extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #31
Omegagodly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

well its tasty! im drinking some now and its not bad at all, the only suggestion i am going to try for my self is that i need brewers yeast, it leaves a bready malty flavor thats nasty in pop, and less lemon! only 1 tbsp next time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #32
BrewSpook
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a version of this the other night. Here is the recipe I used

1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp Corn Syrup
1tsp vanilla extract
squirt of lemon juice from a bottle

I put 2 cups water on stove and heated, added ingredients, stirred until sugar was desolved. Poured into a 1L bottle and topped with cold water.

Put in fridge until nice and cold and hit with 30psi through a home made carbonator cap.

It was good, I will definitely make a few changes for the next one - less brown sugar and probably add table sugar or splenda and use real vanila bean instead of the extract. A little tweaking and this could be amazing.
It was good, but needed a

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
pdbreen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just kegged another batch. Didn't have any brown sugar or corn syrup, so the recipe this time around was:

~1/3 cup molasses (what I had left in a jar)
~9 cups Splenda
1 1/2 tablespoons Real Lemon
8 teaspoons Costco vanilla extract

Initial taste suggest it might need even a bit more vanilla - but I'll wait until it fully carbs before making any adjustments.

On Deck: Centennial IPA, Dry Irish Stout
P: Cascade Pale Ale
S: (nothing!)
K: (nothing!)
T: Carbed Crystal Light, Root Beer, Vanilla Cream Soda, Tripel IPA, Apfelwein

e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0

Old 08-31-2010, 01:28 AM   #34
hooliocoolio14
Recipes 

Bump Bump.

Just wanted to add my noob input, might help some people out. I just brewed this recipe tonight, I'll post in a few days how it turned out

Ingredients:

2 Cups Sugar in the Raw

2 1/4 Cups brown sugar (lightly packed)

3 Cups white table sugar

1 Cinnamon stick

15 Teaspoons homemade vanilla extract (200mL absolute 80 proof and 5 Madagascar vanilla beans. Split beans, stripped seeds, added seeds and bean skin to vodka. Sat for a few days shaking everyday)

1/2 Teaspoon lime zest

White labs cream ale liquid yeast

Directions:

Dissolve sugar in 2-3 gallons water at 180 degrees. Turn off heat and add cinnamon stick. Let stand for 10 minutes stirring frequently. Add to ice bath (ice in fermenting bucket to quickly bring down temp). Top off with cool water to 5 gallons. Cool to 70-90 degrees. Add vanilla and lime zest. Pitch yeast at 80 degrees.

By combining different recipes online that I've came across, this recipe seems like it should work out good for a first timer.

Any input, let me know

Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 AM   #35
KajolThappar
Recipes 

in a 16 oz glass combine 1/2 tsp vanilla, 3 tbsp simple syrup,and carefully fill with club soda.....if it's not sweet enough, play with the amount of simple syrup.

simple syrup = 1 cup sugar + 1 cup water

Old 11-12-2010, 02:37 AM   #36
owlman
Recipes 

Mixing-and-matching from this topic I tried a basic recipe of sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. I added maltodextrin for more body. But I forgot the lemon!
It's pretty tasty except it has a rather yeasty flavor, more so than any other soda I've made so far. (I'm using champagne yeast). Maybe the lemon would cover that up.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #37
DigitalBlacksmith
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Creme Soda DB style

Been brewing beer for a couple years now and really was looking for a good Creme Soda recipe. Here is the one I designed this morning after reading this forum and several others.
This recipe Yields 5 gallons force carbonated.

Ingredients:

Sugars:
8 lb Cane Sugar - EDIT: Adjusted from 12 - the lactose and Malt added a lot more sweetness than expected.
8 oz Maltodextrin - for a good full mouth feel
1 lb Lactose - For a creamy flavor. (This is used in milk stouts)
Flavoring:
2 tsp Citric Acid - EDIT Adjusted from 4, too much of an acidic aftertaste.
12 oz Clear Imitation Vanilla (working on making a Jones style look) - EDIT I Adjusted from 4 to 12, imitation vanilla just doesn't have the potency.
Liquid:
5 Gallons of your favorite purified water.

Dump all sugars into 3 gallon pot with 1 gallon water. Bring to a low boil and wait for liquid to turn clear. KEEP BELOW 180 DEGREES. My syrup ended up a little golden, I plan on fixing this in the next batch, I think the malt or lactose ended up burning quicker than the cane. So I will try a lower temp.

Chill with wort chiller, Add citric acid when reasonably cool, maybe in the 100 degree range. Then add Vanilla to taste after this. There is a lot of sugar in here so I am going to be liberal my first time around with the vanilla. So I am planning on 4 oz. (calculated by how I make frosting 1 tsp per lb of sugar, there are 12 lbs here with no extra butter, 6 tsp to an oz, double that to make up for the lack of 6 cups o butter

I will try to put feedback here on how people like it this evening. I will rock force carbonate at 50 psi and my water is pre-chilled so I am hoping for drinkable carbonation in 4 hours.

Last edited by DigitalBlacksmith; 07-18-2011 at 03:44 PM.
FabulousVagabond Likes This 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 AM   #38
El_Matador
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Now THAT is a recipe that sounds worth trying. Would love to hear how it turned out with the Malto and the Lactose. I'd like to do similar but syrup style for seltzer style drinks. Let us know the feedback!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #39
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman

This might be true under ideal circumstances - i.e. highest quality extract from a place like Penzeys' spices but in my experience you get much better vanilla flavor from beans than standard supermarket extract. This is not to say that I don't use extract for almost all of my cooking but when the food product is vanilla-based, such as cream soda or vanilla ice cream or a vanilla custard I use beans.

Meh, I don't know. Not all beans are created equal either so I'm kinda talking out of my butt here.

Still I bought 50 beans for $25! You can't beat that with a stick.
I get my vanilla from penzys. The best ice cream I ever made was with beans. I don't know how to explain the difference but it is. Well for one thing there is no alc in the beans. Last time I was there I saw they had different strengths of vanilla extract. That makes it confusing but at the same time I want to try the strongest. Going to have to try my hand. I want to bottle condition tho.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 AM   #40
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliocoolio14
Bump Bump.

Just wanted to add my noob input, might help some people out. I just brewed this recipe tonight, I'll post in a few days how it turned out

Ingredients:

2 Cups Sugar in the Raw

2 1/4 Cups brown sugar (lightly packed)

3 Cups white table sugar

1 Cinnamon stick

15 Teaspoons homemade vanilla extract (200mL absolute 80 proof and 5 Madagascar vanilla beans. Split beans, stripped seeds, added seeds and bean skin to vodka. Sat for a few days shaking everyday)

1/2 Teaspoon lime zest

White labs cream ale liquid yeast

Directions:

Dissolve sugar in 2-3 gallons water at 180 degrees. Turn off heat and add cinnamon stick. Let stand for 10 minutes stirring frequently. Add to ice bath (ice in fermenting bucket to quickly bring down temp). Top off with cool water to 5 gallons. Cool to 70-90 degrees. Add vanilla and lime zest. Pitch yeast at 80 degrees.

By combining different recipes online that I've came across, this recipe seems like it should work out good for a first timer.

Any input, let me know
Would you just pitch and then bottle immediately?

Quick Reply