New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Cream Soda Recipe with vanilla extract

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cream Soda Recipe with vanilla extract

Had a hard time finding a cream soda recipe on here other then the packet ones sold at the LHBS so i found one online that I tried tonight. Tasted it after it cooled down and it tasted like pretty good cream soda for being flat. In keg now at 35 psi.

Recipe is from here. Only had 2 cups of corn syrup so I changed the recipe to this:

2 cups Corn Syrup
16 2/3 cups Sugar
6 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Unsweetened Lemonade Kool-aid Mix
Water

Mixed everything in about 8 quarts of hot water to dissolve sugars and then poured into a keg and topped off to 5 gallons with cold water.

Looked up sugar content of A&W compared to ours and ours is about 40% more sugar so could probably be done with less sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That sounds interesting, but I'd love to see a recipe that does not utilize magic. Unsweetened Lemonade Kool-Aid Mix is "magic", in that it can't be duplicated exactly from common base ingredients.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-31-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just did a recipe I'm basing off of Sprecher cream soda. I watched a special on how they made their soda (didn't give a whole lot of details) and going off the ingredients on the bottle. I did not add the yucca extract or sodium benzoate but I did have all the other ingredients (that are listed...) So I'll post back on here once I've tried it. I'm doing this as a syrup recipe that you mix with soda water. For the acid part I used 10% phosphoric acid solution, lemonade mix is interesting though.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
phred_02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
That sounds interesting, but I'd love to see a recipe that does not utilize magic. Unsweetened Lemonade Kool-Aid Mix is "magic", in that it can't be duplicated exactly from common base ingredients.
I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing that the Kool-Aid is being used for the acid content. You should be able to use something like acid blend in place of it.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
mysteryberto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone have good links to resources on making home made soda from scratch? Extracts are good but I'm looking to experiment. What is the function

Costco has vanilla beans for $12 for 10. I want to make cream soda from scratch with real beans.

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

Old 01-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Jeebs
Recipes 

Hi guys! I've been making soda the past few months, and here's a couple of websites I've used:

Do it yourself: Brew Better Soda at Home

Brewing Root Beer

They don't provide a lot of useful recipes, but still, it's a decent starting point. I think Creswell's book is also a great reference.

Amazon.com: Homemade Root Beer, Soda & Pop: Stephen Cresswell: Books

I haven't made cream soda, but I hope to very soon. Here's a source I found for inexpensive vanilla beans. Good quality, and fast shipping too.

25 MADAGASCAR VANILLA BEANS PREMIUM TOP QUALITY BEST - eBay (item 320312629110 end time Jan-19-09 08:04:11 PST)

Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
PsiWulf7
Recipes 

Default The vanilla beans

Go to their website, top vanilla beans - the price is about the same, but there are minor discounts for ordering in bulk. Still uses paypal.

I ordered a bundle, so I'll post a review once I get them.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
GreenMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jeebs or mysteryberto, did you ever get around to make some cream soda? I just listened to a podcast that talked about vanilla beans and how vanilla extract is basically as good if not better then vanilla beans since they use a different bean that has more "vanilla" flavor too it. If you still wanted to do it with vanilla beans you would have to make an extract from the bean before adding it to the soda or let the bean soak in the soda for a long time to pull out the vanilla flavor.

I am going to try and make another batch of this again now that I have more kegs to use up. This will be the recipe I'm going to try:

9 cups Sugar
Some amount of lemon zest/juice to make up for the Kool-aid Mix
Water

Last edited by GreenMan; 05-08-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
mysteryberto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMan View Post
Jeebs or mysteryberto, did you ever get around to make some cream soda? I just listened to a podcast that talked about vanilla beans and how vanilla extract is basically as good if not better then vanilla beans since they use a different bean that has more "vanilla" flavor too it. If you still wanted to do it with vanilla beans you would have to make an extract from the bean before adding it to the soda or let the bean soak in the soda for a long time to pull out the vanilla flavor.

I am going to try and make another batch of this again now that I have more kegs to use up. This will be the recipe I'm going to try:

9 cups Sugar
Some amount of lemon zest/juice to make up for the Kool-aid Mix
Water
It's still on my things to do list. A lot of vanilla extract I've used is sub par to vanilla beans. The expensive extract is pretty good. I think I might experiment with making vanilla extract with some Everclear I have.

Let me know how your recipe goes

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

Old 08-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post

I haven't made cream soda, but I hope to very soon. Here's a source I found for inexpensive vanilla beans. Good quality, and fast shipping too.

25 MADAGASCAR VANILLA BEANS PREMIUM TOP QUALITY BEST - eBay (item 320312629110 end time Jan-19-09 08:04:11 PST)
Thanks for the link. I paid $17 for 2 beans at the supermarket just today. I just bought 2 bundles (50 beans) for $25.50 delivered.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply