Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > cream soda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by micfiygd View Post
I Believe you are mistaken about he cost of vanilla. On amazon it is 12 dollars for 16 ounces. Nowhere bear 4 dollars an oz.
That's on Amazon. Local purchase is close to $4/oz. No mistake.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I use Pure Vanilla Extract. Much cheaper than beans.

Mine was close to 5 gallons kegged
64oz Light Corn Syrup
3lbs Sugar
4oz Vanilla Extract.

Extreamly creamy, I would recommend less sugar and a little more extract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
Demonantis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I used the Martha Stewart, http://www.marthastewart.com/348771/cream-soda-syrup, one saramc posted and it was good. There are a bunch of places online that sell vanilla for better prices than the store, like http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/ or http://www.amadeusvanillabeans.com/. You have to buy a lot though.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Gracious, make your own vanilla extract. Take 6-8 6" split beans, pop them in a fifth of vodka, pure grain, rum (Evan Williams Honey Reserve is killer) and put in pantry at eye level. Shake weekly for a month, then monthly for next 2-3. Ready to use in as little as a month, better at three, awesome in a year. I never have to use full amount requested in recipe, just half. I have not bought vanilla extract in 25+ years and have convinced so many friends to make their own. So very easy.
Madagascar beans are my favorite.
--you will find you add it to so many things and it makes great gifts (along with instruction card)

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Gracious, make your own vanilla extract. Take 6-8 6" split beans, pop them in a fifth of vodka, pure grain, rum (Evan Williams Honey Reserve is killer) and put in pantry at eye level. Shake weekly for a month, then monthly for next 2-3. Ready to use in as little as a month, better at three, awesome in a year. I never have to use full amount requested in recipe, just half. I have not bought vanilla extract in 25+ years and have convinced so many friends to make their own. So very easy.
Madagascar beans are my favorite.
--you will find you add it to so many things and it makes great gifts (along with instruction card)
So instead of spending $4 for pure vanilla extract that is ready to go immediately, I should spend $20 on a fifth of vodka, another $10 on vanilla beans (vodka and beans locally purchased), then wait three months for it to be ready. Let me think about that one, i'll get back you you.

Wait, let me guess, you make your own vodka out of potato peels and you grow your own vanilla beans in a greenhouse, this is how you keep the cost down.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #16
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
So instead of spending $4 for pure vanilla extract that is ready to go immediately, I should spend $20 on a fifth of vodka, another $10 on vanilla beans (vodka and beans locally purchased), then wait three months for it to be ready. Let me think about that one, i'll get back you you.

Wait, let me guess, you make your own vodka out of potato peels and you grow your own vanilla beans in a greenhouse, this is how you keep the cost down.
I wasn't going to say anything, but I agree. Only locally to get the amount of beans he called for I need to spend $22. Just beans....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 03-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
dkag7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dont know if this can still be called a cream soda (cant remember ever having one) or not, but i altered the recipe from saramc a bit..
about 5 tbl spoons maple syrup, 10 drops of birch beer extract, 3 drops lemon/lime concentrate (from RIO)..1 tea spoon vanilla (i just have the imitation kind right now) Add to 20oz water and carbonate... very good.. I few weeks ago i tried just carbonating 4 or 5 tablespoons of maple syrup in 20oz water.. that too was surprisingly pretty good

Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike

You can't find vodka for less than $20 a fifth? It's less than ten here in Missouri. I would not want to live where you live. But anyway at you cost of $4 per ounce a fifth of vanilla extract would cost you about $100 so I think she was being helpful to you. So maybe you should think before you type

Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post

I wasn't going to say anything, but I agree. Only locally to get the amount of beans he called for I need to spend $22. Just beans....
There are loads of online sources for inexpensive quality vanilla beans. I just bought 4oz of naturally split Madagascar/Bourbon beans for $7 shipped. I have plenty of vanilla beans. Local stores tend to have an outrageous markup and a captive audience...I refuse to spend $5 on one vanilla bean packaged in a glass spice jar. Call me crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post

And Mike...you can keep shelling out $4 a pop for a minute amount of who-knows-what vanilla, I could care less. Oh, and if I could legally make my own vodka from homegrown potatoes I probably would, but why when it is quite inexpensive already? But I will leave the vanilla growing up to others since I have other things I prefer to grow. Just putting the options out there, no need to attack anyone.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc

There are loads of online sources for inexpensive quality vanilla beans. I just bought 4oz of naturally split Madagascar/Bourbon beans for $7 shipped. I have plenty of vanilla beans. Local stores tend to have an outrageous markup and a captive audience...I refuse to spend $5 on one vanilla bean packaged in a glass spice jar. Call me crazy.

And Mike...you can keep shelling out $4 a pop for a minute amount of who-knows-what vanilla, I could care less. Oh, and if I could legally make my own vodka from homegrown potatoes I probably would, but why when it is quite inexpensive already? But I will leave the vanilla growing up to others since I have other things I prefer to grow. Just putting the options out there, no need to attack anyone.
Depending on your state it is legal to make distilled spirits just federally illegal lol. He was certainly coming off as a jerk that's why I commented on what he said

Quick Reply