Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Converting Regular Root Beer Recipes To Syrup Recipes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
shadeone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Converting Regular Root Beer Recipes To Syrup Recipes?

So, Im new to the whole root beer brewing world and want to try my hand at making some of the old-time original recipes from the late 1800s to the early 1930s, Ive found a few online and also found some peoples modifications to them to get them to taste somewhat similar to a modern day root beer...

Anyways, instead of making these recipes with yeast and having to ferment them in buckets taking up valuable space in my tiny studio apartment, I want to know if its possible to convert any of the recipes into a simple syrup recipe that i can then use with my sodastream later? Is it as simple as just using a way smaller amount of water? Theres gotta be a simple equation or process for doing this!

thanks in advance!
Jamie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Bauerbrewery1989
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hmm, I would think you may be able to make the recipe as normal, remove the herbs, and keep it at a simmer to boil off the majority of the water to make an extract.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I believe the Stephen Cresswell book discusses this a briefly.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Quick Reply