Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Coke/Pepsi bag in box sources?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
DarthBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Coke/Pepsi bag in box sources?

Does anyone know a place online or off that sells Coke or Pepsi products in the bag-in-box format? Samsclub website sells Dr Pepper and generic BIB's reasonably priced. The only Coke and Pepsi I could find online is from the Nationalcandy website. Although with shipping, they would cost around $150 per 5 gallon box.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Most places that carry those products are bound by contract to only sell to businesses. Look around for a restaurant supply place, some places are more compliant than others.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Check with your local small restaurants. They might sell ya a BIB and they can order another. You both come out ahead. He makes a few bucks on you, and you get whatca want!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

What kind of equipment do you need to run a bag in box system?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
same question here.

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
it depends on how fancy you want to get, and how good you are at scrounging out the needed hardware.. new is very expensive but used can be very reasonable and sometimes free

for a basic system, you need:

a dispenser. this can be a full-on restaurant or convenience store type of dispenser, or a bar gun system, like a wunder bar. some dispensers have refrigeration systems to cool the soda and syrup, but most use a cold plate which requires clear ice to work properly.

a carbonator. this is a unit with a motor-driven pump and a pressure tank that mixes filtered tap water with c02 gas to make carbonated water. sometimes they are mounted inside a dispenser but usually are a seperate unit.

bib pumps. c02 gas-driven pumps that pull syrup out of the bib bags and pump it to the dispenser. you need one for each dispenser head or bar gun button you want to dispense.

bib connectors. fittings that connect to the valves on the bib bags, usually product-specific (coke and pepsi use different connectors)

co2 tank and gas regulators. you don't need a huge co2 tank, but 10lb is probably the minimum i would use... but you do need 2 regulators, one that can supply 100psi to the carbonator and one that can supply 40psi to the bib pumps. alternatively, if you want to save some co2 and already own an air compressor you can drive the bib pumps with air instead. you'll still need to run them at 40psi however..

tubing, fittings and clamps. how much and how many depends on your installation, but remember that the only metal allowed in contact with soda is stainless steel. copper and brass are not allowed and will create toxic water...

however...... if you are looking to dispense one flavor on an infrequent basis and want a simple system that can be added to an existing kegerator:

flomatic makes a fully-mechanical postmix dispenser valve that works well and requires no electrical power to operate. has 1/4" flare connections so it can be mounted to any surface, like the collar on a converted freezer. about $65 new.

a corny keg of force-carbonated water stored in a kegerator will last a while and is easy enough to refill when it runs out.

the syrup needs to be cooled, a 10 or 20 foot coil of 1/4" stainless tubing in a container of water in the kegerator should do the trick.

one bib pump for each dispenser valve, mounted inside or outside of the kegerator. best to have the syrup bib outside for easier pumping..

you'll still need 2 gas regulators, 70-100psi for the soda keg and 40psi for the bib pumps.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
DarthBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do you have a link for the flomatic postmix valve you mentioned? That would be interesting to see.

The system I have is a 5 head fountain I found on craigslist for under $100. The carbonator that came with needs to be replaced. So instead of spending $150-200 for a new one, I figured I'd use a spare keg and carb the water in that. The one gallon BIB's that Sam's sells for about $15 makes 6 gallons of soda. That seems to be a good match with a 5 gallon corny of water. That way they're replaced at approx the same time.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah I don't have a carbonator for my BIB system, I just use a 5 gal corny with 30 PSI of CO2 on it.

As for where to get syrup, check out a GFS Marketplace if there is one near you, they stock the 5 gallon boxes.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Could you just mix a certain amount of syrup with water and force carb it and then use a picnic tap? #justsayin

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yes you can, but then that whole keg would just be one flavor.

A method that can be even cheaper is to buy 2 liters on sale and just fill a keg with those and put it on 30 PSI of Co2 and dispense that. The BIB syrups are not that cheap in the small quantities we want (at least name brand).

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 

Quick Reply