Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Coca-Cola Pre-Mix Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #11
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

OK, here is an idea. I am no scientist, but if you run water from the city and some how carbonate it with CO2, I am thinking that is what made the soda cold. Wasn't ice cold, but pleasantly cold.

1) Concentrated Syrup is in the tank (we call them kegs)
2) You have to introduce Carbonated Water (lots) to syrup (few tablespoons per glass)

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmantoo View Post
OK, here is an idea. I am no scientist, but if you run water from the city and some how carbonate it with CO2, I am thinking that is what made the soda cold. Wasn't ice cold, but pleasantly cold.

1) Concentrated Syrup is in the tank (we call them kegs)
2) You have to introduce Carbonated Water (lots) to syrup (few tablespoons per glass)
The soda was chilled with cold plates, it still is and you can buy them on ebay if you want to setup a pre-mix fountain.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
Stuntman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenite View Post
Pre-mix is the exact same product that is bottled. It is not syrup. Soda kegs were/are used in some post-mix systems though, depends on the fountain.
Pre Mix IS the same thing as what is in the can. After it is poured into the cup, and the carbonated water mixes with the syrup. We didn't fill those tanks (we call the kegs) with 2 liter coke bottles. They were like the old milk cartons, twenty five years down the road milk cartons that were made of waxed paper. 4 or 5 would fill the tank, and it would go for almost a week before having to refill it. There was a Coke, a Dr.Pepper, an Orange, Sprite. Separate tanks, but the same water that was carbonated went to all of them. More efficient system that handing someone a bottle of coke. The restaurant makes more money because the system runs at a lower overhead.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #14
Stuntman

Recipes 

Quote:
The soda was chilled with cold plates, it still is and you can buy them on ebay if you want to setup a pre-mix fountain.
I never worked on them other than filling them. makes sense though, won't melt the ice and water down the drink before the poor sap can get it in his car.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #15
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmantoo View Post
Pre Mix IS the same thing as what is in the can. After it is poured into the cup, and the carbonated water mixes with the syrup. We didn't fill those tanks (we call the kegs) with 2 liter coke bottles. They were like the old milk cartons, twenty five years down the road milk cartons that were made of waxed paper. 4 or 5 would fill the tank, and it would go for almost a week before having to refill it. There was a Coke, a Dr.Pepper, an Orange, Sprite. Separate tanks, but the same water that was carbonated went to all of them. More efficient system that handing someone a bottle of coke. The restaurant makes more money because the system runs at a lower overhead.
No. There is a difference between premix and post mix. The tanks that Coke/Pepsi use/used are/were delivered sealed and the retailer paid a deposit on the tank. On the next delivery the tanks would be counted and the deposit refunded on the invoice (I manage a c-store and our invoices still have a space for tank deposits on them.)

Check out this link from a large Pepsi distributor: http://www.pepsimidamerica.com/consu...mixDetails.php

Quote:
It is the exact same high quality product you expect to find in any soft drink packed goods.
In a pre-mix fountain there is no source for water in the tap. You were working on a post-mix system, most of which use BIB but some use tanks.

If you look at the lid of of a corny keg you'll see the tab where the seal went.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #16
Stuntman

Recipes 

Quote:
No. There is a difference between premix and post mix. The tanks that Coke/Pepsi use/used are/were delivered sealed and the retailer paid a deposit on the tank. On the next delivery the tanks would be counted and the deposit refunded on the invoice (I manage a c-store and our invoices still have a space for tank deposits on them.)

Check out this link from a large Pepsi distributor: http://www.pepsimidamerica.com/consu...mixDetails.php

In a pre-mix fountain there is no source for water in the tap. You were working on a post-mix system, most of which use BIB but some use tanks.

If you look at the lid of of a corny keg you'll see the tab where the seal went.
OK, I am talking out of my @ss again. The restaurant must have been Post, and what I loaded at Coke were Pre Mix. Now that I think of it, they were full going on the trucks. To set up a restaurant you would want to take everything empty and then fill once it was all set up completely.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Ok. Thanks for all the feedback! Seems to have created some debate. To help settle the issue, I plan on chilling and carbing the keg. I'll try drinking it from a picnic tap (thanks for the tip ChshreCat!). If it is syrupy I can always bleed out the pressure and try diluting it with carbonated water.
I still have one more question. How long of a line would I need? And do I leave the serving pressure @ 30psi, or dial it back down like you do with beer? (Yes, I realize that was actually 2 more questions!)

Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #18
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I work in a place that uses Coca Cola on tap (won't say where - heh.) 60-65psi, 5.2 parts water to 1 part syrup. This is from an Arca Box though.
Dunno if this helps!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_B_Mongo View Post
Actually, the tab on the keg said it was pre-mixed and the expiration date wasn't for another year.
Hit it. I run 35 psi for soda water and Coke is normally a bit higher. I also use 20' of 3/16ths line, any less and it foams like crazy.

Last edited by david_42; 08-24-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #20
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_B_Mongo View Post
Ok. Thanks for all the feedback! Seems to have created some debate. To help settle the issue, I plan on chilling and carbing the keg. I'll try drinking it from a picnic tap (thanks for the tip ChshreCat!). If it is syrupy I can always bleed out the pressure and try diluting it with carbonated water.
I still have one more question. How long of a line would I need? And do I leave the serving pressure @ 30psi, or dial it back down like you do with beer? (Yes, I realize that was actually 2 more questions!)
10-15 feet of 3/16" line should work ok, unlike root beer, coke doesn't foam up too badly. you want to keep the pressure at 30 to maintain the proper carbonation level, picnic taps work up to around 50psi so no problems with leaks.

if your keg does contain post-mix syrup, the proper mix ratio is 5 to 1 (5 parts water to 1 part syrup, 5 gallons of syrup will make 30 gallons of soda)

diet syrups mix at a 5.5 to 1 ratio.

Quick Reply