The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Cherry soda request

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
Kayvon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Can you explain why you believe yeast will not eat much of the sugar when making soda?
It's been discussed elsewhere on this forum, though I can't find it off hand. Basically, the yeast doesn't need all that much sugar to create the CO2 needed for carbonation. If you'll notice, recipes for forced carbonation (which consumes no sugar) and yeast carbonation (which consumes a small amount) both call for the same amount of sugar. In fact, AB's recipe calls for less sugar than most soft drinks.

Additionally, my own experience (anecdotal evidence) shows that the resulting soda is roughly equally-sweet whether force-carbonated of yeast-carbonated.

Quote:
Do you have a technique for preventing yeast from using all the available sugar?
Yes. Put the soda in the refrigerator after it carbonates to prevent the yeast from turning all your sugar into alcohol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayvon View Post

It's been discussed elsewhere on this forum, though I can't find it off hand. Basically, the yeast doesn't need all that much sugar to create the CO2 needed for carbonation. If you'll notice, recipes for forced carbonation (which consumes no sugar) and yeast carbonation (which consumes a small amount) both call for the same amount of sugar. In fact, AB's recipe calls for less sugar than most soft drinks.

Additionally, my own experience (anecdotal evidence) shows that the resulting soda is roughly equally-sweet whether force-carbonated of yeast-carbonated.

Yes. Put the soda in the refrigerator after it carbonates to prevent the yeast from turning all your sugar into alcohol.
Yeast will continue reproducing/utilizing all available sugar, even when refrigerated they still ferment albeit slow slow slow, until they die off. They do not know how much to use so they just carbonate your beverage so they then leave a residual sugar to keep it sweet for you. Not saying that cold crashing will not allow you to keep your soda on the sweet side for a bit longer. If keeping a yeast based soda on the sweet side when using a fermentable sugar were that easy there would be no need to force carb anything. But it is fun tinkering.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Kayvon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Yeast will continue reproducing/utilizing all available sugar, even when refrigerated they still ferment albeit slow slow slow, until they die off.
True enough. Let me amend my statement:

Put the soda in the refrigerator after it carbonates to prevent the yeast from turning all your sugar into alcohol. Then drink all of it.

Seriously though, refrigeration merely slows it down substantially (even AB recommends releasing the pressure from the bottle in the fridge once per day). Usually, you end up drinking the soda fast enough that it doesn't matter. If you want to stop fermentation completely, you need to heat the yeast up to kill it.

Quick Reply