Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Cheaper CO2 attempts for sodastream

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
daft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Cheaper CO2 attempts for sodastream

I am transitioning to paintball co2 bottles instead of refilling sodastream. Not sure if it will work, because so far it appears they were afraid to fill me with hardly any liquid at all. Anyway I will recount my journey for others to either comment on or learn from my mistakes. We need not use pricey sodastream proprietary syrups (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/bett...stream-396003/ ) or co2 refills, even though they have apparently "boobytrapped" their tanks to prevent easy refill.

1) First I tried to play ball with Sodastream. Of course they didn't offer tank exchanges where I bought them, but they did list Walmart and Bed, Bath, and Beyond as sources. Online I could confirm that Walmart had no exchange tanks in stock in any available branch and that they could not be ordered. I eventually checked a branch of BBB that sodastream didn't list and they now offer exchange for $20. Someone on this site said $5 coupons from BBB site are useable, although I haven't seen such coupons even after registering.

2) Someone here mentioned co2doctor.com as a source of paintball adaptor valves, which I ordered. Later I found you can google paintball sodastream and find many vendors for about a $50 device. They give a bunch of advice and offer alternatives like replacement valves to allow easy self refill of sodastream bottles. Some site said the boobytrap can also be overcome just by slow filling (with liquid, not gas c02).

Anyway, the valve is kind of intricate and needs adjustment of a kind of setscrew. In practice runs on an empty bottle and even the first time on a full one, the thing malfunctioned on me and got jammed both going in and backing out. It seems to be very sensitive and you have to stop turning (and back out 1 turn) at the slightest resistance. I think when I overdid it, it slips beside the co2 valve and jams. I don't call it a defect though, and the vendor encourages calls for assistance. I'm just saying it's an unfamiliar world with pitfalls in not knowing how what is tight enough all around.

3) I bought a 20 oz paintball tank for my fizz model sodastream without being sure it would fit internally because I had to use an online credit fast before expiration. One site said my fizz was limited to 12 oz size, and another said 20 oz. I saw a picture appearing to be fizz with a 24 inside, which I later I saw listed as better. The only really convenient refill site only charged me $3.50 for a 20 oz fill which is a bit bigger than my sodastreams. They said they underfilled it to avoid overexpansion in transport, and I had to fill out all kinds of paperwork to promise to not carry it in a hot car, etc. At the register I had to show ID and sign god knows what about not being a sniper or something. I don't feel any liquid sloshing around when I tip it and it doesn't feel much heavier, so wonder if I need to get one of those (larger) tanks with a temperature driven "fill level" gauge on the side?

Anyway on the second attempt, I got the setscrew right and when using it I got kind of a softer than normal blast of gas. Maybe that is the way the valve affects things by making a longer twisted path to the soda bottle? But it sounds a lot like when the liquid co2 is about used up and I'm coasting on the last dregs of gas. My Fizz model has a useless pressure gauge that never gives warning... it read max full when my last sodastream tank was clear as day in it's last gasp (it also uselessly marks all soda drink bottles as zero or the lowest level fizz, and the latter only when it is insanely bubbly). Hoping for the best, but preparing for expensive plan B's...

Tripping on carbonic acid, high on fructose!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Kayvon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Next time you refill, you might try weighing the (completely empty) paintball CO2 cylinder both before and after filling. I believe they're only rater for 12 oz. or 20 oz., depending on the cylinder.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Why can't you drill a hole in the original sodastream co2 tank, and then have a flare connector welded onto the tank. Then run a high pressure hose from a 20lb tank to the modified sodastream tank?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
daft
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Co2doctor sells an adaptor to refill a sodastream tank and also you can unscrew the sodastream brass fitting to be replaced with another de-boobytrapped co2doc fitting... probably costly. I may be OK with the paintball thingie, maybe after some pleading with the refill guy. I did notice that my sodastream tanks would be quite a bit heavier when full, and you could slosh liquid back and forth. I will stay on the lookout for some holiday special deal to exchange my 2 sodastream tanks as a backup anyway. Sodastream says they still own them, not the buyer.

I may have a paintball gas fitting leak. I first used it with the back panel removed and didn't notice a leak, but should examine it again. Co2doc says sodastream uses poor quality seals which he can replace. BTW, i noticed the inside was all lightly frosted looking. I think that wasn't from a co2 leak, but from the blast of water when you remove the carbonated bottle. It is so evenly sprayed, I bet it is mineralization from the fine mist of backfired water. Good that I don't carbonate already flavored water. or something that might attract bugs could build up in there. I can carbonate OK with enough pulses, but it acts different.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
daft
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The paintball tank is still working... possibly not as fast and high pressure as sodastream tanks, but here is a faq that gives ideas for tuning it: http://www.co2doctor.com/learning.htm . I can get to that buzzing sound ok, which he says is a sodastream vent for when pressure reaches a limit. Now I am worried about the ptank hydrotest required every third year... costs as much as a sodastream tank exchange but with sodastream you don't pay for the test.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
911pcdoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i got a soda stream for christmas and i do love it but right away i noticed the lies in there ads when a tank is $30+ for a "swap"
i started looking for answers to a truly cheaper way! and i found this

http://www.criticalpaintball.com/Sod...am-sodamod.htm

this lets me use a 24oz regular CO2 tank i have 3 now and i get them filled at my local sporting goods store!! for $5 a bottle
i have done even more research and i am now looking at other forced systems because i am about to start home crafting soda and root beer
but this has helped out a lot!! though i would share

Marc

Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
evylnewt
Recipes 

Default Another option

Found that Target does the 'return' on the 14 oz sodastream proprietary valve. We love using the carbonated waters with various flavoring and syrups. The long term costs were going to be exorbitant so I chose this route..

Co2 doctor has the freedom +, got it for 117.00 shipped, arrived third day.
Then purchased a 20 lb co2 tank from Air-Gas (tons of places across the US), mine happens to be 0.5 miles from my house. The tank with a 20 pound fill of co2 (which the first one is included in the purchase) was 144.00 with 11.00 of that being NY taxes.(the lease option was 11 bucks a month, so just after a year or longer of use made the buyout cheaper in the long run.)

However many carbonations we end up getting out of a 14 oz, we should see about 20-25 times as many out of the 20 pound charge.

Taking that on the low end makes it 20 x 15 plus gas for the car and a hour round trip to Target each time.. 300 bucks and the hassle..

The purchase option, 261.00 and set it and forget it for the length of the tank.

Refills are cheaper at other places (ie paintball outlets, sports stores) for the 20 lb, but I am going to go with Airgas for swapping out full cylinders. I know they will have fully certified and tested cylinders, and they use industrial standard procedures and equipment for all their gases. Refills are going to be about 45.00 for the 20 pounds.

So second go around using the old sodastream, would be the 300 + the time and travel hassles.. vs 45.00 and a trip to Airgas, plus 3 minutes to hook up the freedom plus.

Note, that if you set ANY co2 cylinder on its side for a while, it will take a while for the liquid to settle away from the top outlet if it is quite full. Liquid in the valve area will really affect the operation of your sodastream, let the newly transported cartridge sit upright for 15 minutes before you put in into your machine.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
daft
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Looks like i will only be paying $10-15 a year to refill my paintball bottle, which fits nicely within my soda stream housing without extra clutter. I just walk it rather than drive, a very few times per year. Extra costs were only $20 bottle and $45 valve (not counting any future hydrotest). BBY finally started sending me physical $5 coupons if I wanted to get soda stream bottles swapped for $15.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
dkag7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i use the soda stream (fizz gizz guy makes them).
it was 35.00 if i remember right. I connect that to a 5lb co2 tank (lasts about 2 years @ 5 or so 20oz sodas a day.
the 5lb tank i lease from napa (the car place.. they lease co2 and other gas tanks). It cost 150.00 to lease the tank (i get all that back when ever i return the tank). 15.00 to fill the 5lb tank with gas.
kurt

Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
evylnewt
Recipes 

I don't think I will get 2 years from the 20 pound cylinder.. the 14 oz that came with the unit was supposed to do 50 liters of carbonation, we were seeing about 35-40 per 14 ounce cylinder.

We should see about 22 times as much from a 20 pound (320 ounce) container, roughly. So, 5 a day, total available 750-800 carbonations, should be about 150-160 days unless I am missing something.

I can't see how you get 3600 carbonations from a 5 pound container. (2 years at 5 a day), we certainly don't get that kind of mileage here.

Mark

Quick Reply