Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Carbonator Installed.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
marzsit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFaden View Post
That actually sounds like a better idea.... Which carbonator do you have? Is a bigger tank better? Did you have any issues with the disconnects not opening?

troll......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #12
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Turns out I had a big problem today. The pressure relief valve on my keg blew and spewed a LOT of seltzer..... not entirely sure why it blew though. Ordered a new valve and some other parts. What are those valves set for? The carbonator says to run it at 100PSI, which the keg should be able to handle without a problem.

-Eric

Old 09-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #13
Brew-medic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

After reading this thread, I was inspired. We make Organic Soda and sell it. Forever are we having issues pumping out to the demand that we are getting. Without giving away any major secrets. This is our setup.

1. We boil down our ingredients. (Slurry)
2. The slurry is put into Keg A.
3. Because our water is not the best where we live we use bottled water, and highly filtered water in 5 gal. jugs, so we fill Keg B with the water.
4. We run the water through the Carbonation Machine at 10 psi CO2, Compressed Air, Beer Gas, it doesnt matter, as we are just delivering the water to the pump.
5. We run another line to the pump with CO2, we have experimented with Liquid CO2, it did not make a difference. Depending on the Soda we are making between 75 - 100 PSI.
6. From the "Out" of the pump the carbonated water to Keg A (it has the lid on it to help prevent CO2 from coming out of the liquid) with the slurry in the bottom, via the out post on Keg A. This helps 2 things, It helps mix the slurry and minimizes turbulence (if used the in post of Keg A, the water falls to the bottom).
7. Attach needle valve to the In post to bleed the excess pressure very slowly.
8. When fluid starts coming out, shut the valve disconnect.
9. Cool to 1˚C 5 - 6 Hours, sometimes with a 0.5 Micron stone
10. Bottle, we use a Beer Gun, Consumer Grade Counter Pressure Filler we find less effective. And hopefully we will purchase a industrial grade Dual Head Auto CP Filler.

We have played with filling sanitized kegs with water and bring the water to 1˚C then running it through the Carbonator.

As part of our quality assurance, we test each lot for Vol. Co2, and get consistent results of 2.5 - 4.1, again depending on what we are wanting.

In 1,600 or so batches in the last year and a half, we have found that Carb Stones are fantastic and more accurate than force carbing; by shaking etc. and use less co2, as you have more control. It makes sense, if you carb a keg for 7 hrs with a stone at 35 psi. You will have the same result almost everytime

Old 09-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
xokeman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Brew medic. I just wanted to Let you know that we've been inspired by your brew method and are gonna give it a go. Carbing in a keg was never successful for us, maybe due in part by lack of patience, so we purchased a carbonator. Thanks for your detailed write up. Curious if you have pictures of your setup and a Facebook

Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
ddrrseio
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

my friend and i replicated the carbonation stone type corny lid and i use that to make club soda. it's works great at 40psi

Old 08-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Ramdough
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I am building the same setup....questions

Eric

I bought the same pump as you. I am designing my own setup that is similar to yours. I have a few questions though.

What pressure co2 are you running?

Do you have pictures of the needle valve on the corny keg?

Do you have part numbers for the needle valve and any adapters you needed to attach the valve to the keg?

How well does it work?

My pump should arrive tomorrow. My taps are going to be outside built into a future concrete counter. I have condensing humidity every night because my house is in a valley. Do you have any recommendations for locating the pump? At first I was going to put it in the chest freezer I plan to use, then I heard that was a bad idea due to humidity. I am considering putting it in a box with desicants, but that seams like a lot of maintenance. What does everyone think?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramdough View Post
Eric

I bought the same pump as you. I am designing my own setup that is similar to yours. I have a few questions though.

What pressure co2 are you running?

Do you have pictures of the needle valve on the corny keg?

Do you have part numbers for the needle valve and any adapters you needed to attach the valve to the keg?

How well does it work?

My pump should arrive tomorrow. My taps are going to be outside built into a future concrete counter. I have condensing humidity every night because my house is in a valley. Do you have any recommendations for locating the pump? At first I was going to put it in the chest freezer I plan to use, then I heard that was a bad idea due to humidity. I am considering putting it in a box with desicants, but that seams like a lot of maintenance. What does everyone think?

I'm at between 80 and 90 PSI per the carbonator instructions. As for the keg... It isn't a needle valve, I literally replaced the valve with a stainless steel bolt. I won't actually recommend this because I disabled the safety mechanism, but I was personally alright with it because the carbonator also has a blowoff....

It works well... the one thing I would recommend is that if you are dispensing from a beer faucet either use 1/8" hose or a lot of 3/16" because you need to drop the pressure before it its the faucet at 90 PSI...

-Eric

Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
Ramdough
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFaden
The only issue I ran into was that spring on the gas in popet wasn't strong enough to open the disconnect up so I wound up just removing it and sticking a needle valve on it to control the flow. It's a hack, but it worked...
Eric,

I was referring to what you said above about a needle valve.

From what you just said in your last post it sounds like you also removed your blow off valve as well?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
Ramdough
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Btw. How many feet of 1/8" line do you think I should use?

Also, on my last post I quoted your mention of the needle valve. Do mind providing pictures, part numbers, etc So I can copy your design?

I originally thought you were using a needle valve for flow control so you could use regular beer lines. Are you using 1/8" line in your setup?

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramdough View Post
Btw. How many feet of 1/8" line do you think I should use?

Also, on my last post I quoted your mention of the needle valve. Do mind providing pictures, part numbers, etc So I can copy your design?

I originally thought you were using a needle valve for flow control so you could use regular beer lines. Are you using 1/8" line in your setup?

Thanks for all of your help.
I don't use a needle valve. As for part numbers I don't really have them off hand and like I stated above there is a risk with the way I am doing it because I disable the safety valve. For my soda I started with 15 feet and then cut it off by a foot at a time until I dialed it in. I wound up running about 8 to 10 feet.

-Eric

Quick Reply