Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Carbonator Installed.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
EFaden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Carbonator Installed.

Hey All,

I added a McCann Big Mac Carbonator to my system. My wife drinks a lot of seltzer and it seemed like a fun project. I picked up the carbonator used and it was pretty cheap. I hooked it all up this morning. My setup is as follows...

Water Line -> Carbon Filter -> Pressure Reducer -> Carbonator -> 5 Gallon Tank via Gas In -> Liquid out to Perlick 525. The only issue I ran into was that spring on the gas in popet wasn't strong enough to open the disconnect up so I wound up just removing it and sticking a needle valve on it to control the flow. It's a hack, but it worked...

Let me know if you have any questions. Just thought people may find it cool... see the photos.

img_20110805_163505.jpg   img_20110805_163454.jpg  

-Eric

xokeman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Glad to hear you made the decision. What was the cost breakdown? I think mostly of the carbon filter and the carbonater unit. Definately something I'd like to look at when I get out of the apartment. Let us know the full results after a day or two. I assume that even though you're getting cold water into the keg, you're probably chilling it a bit further.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Glad to hear you made the decision. What was the cost breakdown? I think mostly of the carbon filter and the carbonater unit. Definately something I'd like to look at when I get out of the apartment. Let us know the full results after a day or two. I assume that even though you're getting cold water into the keg, you're probably chilling it a bit further.
The carbonator was $160... the filter + adapters ran about $50 (with the filter). Not too bad. I'll post results after I let the keg chill down to fridge temps.

Basically I used the carbonator to fill the keg with 5 gallons of room temp seltzer, then closed the lid, pressurized it, and put it into the fridge. My hope is that once that keg w/ 5 gallons gets down to fridge temps I can flow cold seltzer as it is displaced by room temp seltzer and so on. I should be able to get at least a few gallons of cold seltzer before it needs some more recovery time.

-Eric

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love your regulator!

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I looked it up but can't figure it out. What exactly are you using the carbonator for? Is it for beer or just seltzer?

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

I think mostly seltzer, which can be used for sodas as well. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/carbonator-co2-chiller-etc-home-seltzer-tap-250351/

Though locationarily I'm now confused, but the setup's the thing. As mentioned, the refilling process is why I'm interested in a few days from now. I expect it to be fine. Except that now I keep eyeing my apartment walls, considering the best place to drill through so I can run a water line from one of the sinks to a carbonation unit.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I looked into a powered carbonator, but my local water isn't all that great. I haul cornies of water up from the country place and carbonate them in the fridge. The downside is the first couple days after a swap-out the water is relatively flat. Working on a kegger under the counter in the wet bar (aka downstairs kitchen). I'll have two water kegs there, one online, one charging.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandlf View Post
I looked it up but can't figure it out. What exactly are you using the carbonator for? Is it for beer or just seltzer?
Seltzer and soda. It is what a soda fountain at 7-11 uses.

-Eric

Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFaden View Post
The carbonator was $160... the filter + adapters ran about $50 (with the filter). Not too bad. I'll post results after I let the keg chill down to fridge temps.

Basically I used the carbonator to fill the keg with 5 gallons of room temp seltzer, then closed the lid, pressurized it, and put it into the fridge. My hope is that once that keg w/ 5 gallons gets down to fridge temps I can flow cold seltzer as it is displaced by room temp seltzer and so on. I should be able to get at least a few gallons of cold seltzer before it needs some more recovery time.
my system is similar, although my carbonator is a selmix santa fe fast flow model with a bigger tank than your mccanns unit. i have found it best to force carbonate a full keg of water at 70-80psi overnight, then connect the carbonator and tap lines to the keg, basically with the keg already chilled down and carbonated the external carbonator will maintain a better flow than if you start with warm soda in the keg.. but, YMMV as always

now that you have a steady supply of soda, you can think about adding postmix heads (faucets) to your system..... well, not really simple faucets, but faucets that mix soda with flavored syrup.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzsit View Post
my system is similar, although my carbonator is a selmix santa fe fast flow model with a bigger tank than your mccanns unit. i have found it best to force carbonate a full keg of water at 70-80psi overnight, then connect the carbonator and tap lines to the keg, basically with the keg already chilled down and carbonated the external carbonator will maintain a better flow than if you start with warm soda in the keg.. but, YMMV as always

now that you have a steady supply of soda, you can think about adding postmix heads (faucets) to your system..... well, not really simple faucets, but faucets that mix soda with flavored syrup.
That actually sounds like a better idea.... Which carbonator do you have? Is a bigger tank better? Did you have any issues with the disconnects not opening?

-Eric

Quick Reply