Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Carbonator, CO2, Chiller, etc for Home Seltzer Tap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
marzsit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

new carbonators are expensive, but used ones aren't. check craigslist, i paid $50 for my big selmix unit and $10 for a smaller mccanns unit at a garage sale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzsit View Post
new carbonators are expensive, but used ones aren't. check craigslist, i paid $50 for my big selmix unit and $10 for a smaller mccanns unit at a garage sale.
What did you do to chill it?

-Eric

Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #13
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

you don't chill the carbonator, you chill the soda that comes out of it. in my case, i have a hose running thru the collar on my chest freezer kegerator connected to the gas-in side of a 3-gallon corny keg. the liquid-out side is connected to a flomatic postmix valve mounted next to the regular beer faucets on the collar. right now i'm running tonic mix thru the valve as well but it will also dispense plain soda. simple system, i can draw about a gallon at once before it starts having warming issues. you have to use a soda valve with a carbonator due to the high pressure, a beer faucet won't work.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:58 AM   #14
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
you don't chill the carbonator, you chill the soda that comes out of it. in my case, i have a hose running thru the collar on my chest freezer kegerator connected to the gas-in side of a 3-gallon corny keg. the liquid-out side is connected to a flomatic postmix valve mounted next to the regular beer faucets on the collar. right now i'm running tonic mix thru the valve as well but it will also dispense plain soda. simple system, i can draw about a gallon at once before it starts having warming issues. you have to use a soda valve with a carbonator due to the high pressure, a beer faucet won't work.
Ok.. I was thinking about doing something similar... I thought about using the chill plate, but then rethought it since I don't have an actual ice bank...

-Eric

Old 06-23-2014, 03:24 AM   #15
Sam_Apoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
To me the biggest issue is the chiller. The carbonators are cheap on ebay or craigslist. But chillers run from $300 on Amazon (e.g. Elkay) to $1200 (e.g. kegman.net) and I cannot figure out which ones are good enough. They also need to be vented well or they'll burn up in a year.

Um, sorry I just realized this is from 3 years ago...any word on how it turned out?

Quick Reply