New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Carbonating Bottled Diet Soda

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Bonjourmate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonating Bottled Diet Soda

Was going to try making some diet soda this weekend (bit too much beer lately), but I can't think of an easy way to carbonate a bottled soda. Can't really use priming sugar, because there is no yeast for it to interact with and create co2.

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
sakeyfour
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Buy a carbonator cap or build one using stainless steel tire stems in the soda cap. You can find directions by searching DIY carbonator caps. A couple of other options come up as well.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

There are a couple of things you can do. One is to bottle carbonate with a co2 tank, if you have it available. That's my preference, because with a carbonator cap it's super easy to do. But if you don't have a c02 tank, then it has to be done an "old fashioned" way.

To make the diet soda (or any soda), all you have to do is add some yeast. I like champagne yeast for this- it's clean and neutral flavored. You can get it from any LHBS and it's like $.49 cents a package. you only need about 1/2 teaspoon. You will need some sugar so the yeast can eat that, but then you can use splenda/stevia/saccharine/ for the majority of the sweetening.

I make a really good ginger ale (recipe posted under my avatar, and in the recipe database under "soda") and you could do that with splenda instead of most of the sugar. I bet that would come out great.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
SnidelyWhiplash
Recipes 

how much sugar gives you appropriate carbonation in a 2 liter? i think ill make a few with artificial sweetener, flavor extract, and champagne yeast to get started.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnidelyWhiplash View Post
how much sugar gives you appropriate carbonation in a 2 liter? i think ill make a few with artificial sweetener, flavor extract, and champagne yeast to get started.
I'd like an answer to this as well. Can you use a priming calculator for beer and figure it out?

To modify the question... How much sugar would need to be added to 2 litres of water to reach proper carbonation level of soda?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Bonjourmate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust

I'd like an answer to this as well. Can you use a priming calculator for beer and figure it out?

To modify the question... How much sugar would need to be added to 2 litres of water to reach proper carbonation level of soda?
I followed the instructions for diet soda that was packaged with the extract and ended up with ALL gushers that tasted like garbage. I've gone back to just buying soda.

Quick Reply