Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > The Carbonater

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Would one be able to use the carbonater to get up above your desire pressure (maybe 14-15 psi at 38F for beer, then take the cap off, and replace it with a regular PET cap? Does anyone do that? I would think that would keep the carbonation longer than letting pressure leak through the disconnect.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's a good image of the items you'd need for a 2 liter carbonation setup.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=247

I do that sometimes, but there's a few tricks to it. Because you lose carbonation when you initially open a bottle. (Like opening a 2 liter, closing it and leaving it, just tends to be flatter the next day)
You either have to overpressurize, so that the carbonation equalizes back to the desired pressure, or chill it down close to freezing so that you lose as little carbonation as possible.
Of course, if your disconnect is leaking, then it'd be better. Mine's not leaking at the moment (knock on wood) so I find leaving the disconnect on to be better than trying to replace it with a cap. I've had 2 x 2liters travel before, one with the carbonator cap and one with the regular cap replaced (at cooler than room temp, but not close to freezing). The carbonator cap had more pressure in it at the end of the trip.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have a couple of them and they work well for me. No leaks.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 AM   #14
cieje
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Would one be able to use the carbonater to get up above your desire pressure (maybe 14-15 psi at 38F for beer, then take the cap off, and replace it with a regular PET cap? Does anyone do that? I would think that would keep the carbonation longer than letting pressure leak through the disconnect.
Sorry to bump a 2 week old thread... but I'm interested in knowing the answer to this question.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #15
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could. But I'd only do that if there was a leakage problem. If you don't have a leakage problem with the carbonator cap, don't bother using the extra co2.

I was switching one carbonator cap and a regular cap between two 2-liter bottles of beer a few weeks ago. It was a bit of a pain to do since each time I did, I had to repressurize the other bottle otherwise it got a bit flatter than I wanted.

The last time I did this, the beer temperature was around 32F and I had carbonated at 30psi and that worked out fairly well. I just opened it today and it's still carbonated, but I don't think it's still as high as 15.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS