The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Can You Use Fresh Fruit to Make Soda Pop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
redbandit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Here's a helpful link with some info on using everything from extract to fresh fruit
http://www.byo.com/stories/article/i...excellent-soda

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
meading_of_minds
Recipes 

Thanks for the cool link. I'm going to try making a lime soda, somewhat like green river, for my DD. My kids said Mom, if you can make wine, can't you make soda, too? So here we go!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
saxarocks
Recipes 

I cannot say that using fresh fruit is a bad thing, but I recently made a batch of soda using pureed fresh guavas. I tried to make sure everything was sterile, I boiled the fruit before bottling. After only a few hours the soda was fully carbonated, so I put it in the fridge.

The refrigeration did NOT slow the yeast, and every bottle gushed when I opened them. This may or may not be related to the fruit pulp that I used. The other two flavors that I made at the same time did not have the same problem.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
Sybil
Recipes 

I've been playing around making sodas with yeast (premier cuvee) the past few days and it's been a lot of fun. There are so many possibilities...

I've done small batches (some in 0.5L water bottles) of plain apple juice, ginger-lime, cherry, fresh limeade, and fresh orange juice/lime juice and water. Some are extremely good, others need refinement. I use a combination of sugar and splenda.

Today's soda experiment contained fresh (uncooked) strawberries blended finely in water then strained, plus lime juice (yes, we have a tree), and a bit of strawberry koolaide to extend the flavor. This is sweetened with both sugar and splenda, and the flavor is great even though flat and warm. It's fermenting now.

The strawberry pulp remaining (that was strained from the juice) was mixed with a can of blended low sugar peaches, put in a jar, and is in the frig. It will be strained later for some peach/strawberry/lime soda. Maybe some steeped fresh ginger too.

I can hardly wait for the summer fruit season to get here.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
eljefebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Heh. I had that problem in the fall, when I tried making a soda from concord grape juice. I wanted to make something besides just jelly for once. When I opened the bottle, it geysered and foamed over for a couple minutes (no joke!) without stopping.

A couple months ago, I made an orange-flavored soda by juicing/zesting 5 Navel oranges and 2 limes. I made a sugar syrup and simmered the zest in there for about an hour. I juiced the fruits and added to the bottle (2L) with the syrup, and topped up with water. The resulting soda was slightly bitter, (probably got too much pith when zesting, or may have been the limes) so it wasn't great for just drinking a glass. However, it made a fantastic (IMO) mixer! A shot of bourbon and a shot of coconut rum in an old-fashioned glass, ice, and the soda made a pretty tasty beverage!

Bucket: Air
Bottles/Drinking: Pirate's Plunder IPA, Peach Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: EdWort's Apfelwein - some still, some primed

Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 AM   #16
x2wdtoyotax
Recipes 

Yeah you can absolutely make fruit soda!

I got bored one night and started experimenting. I made strawberry , strawberry-lemonade, and blackberry...all from fresh fruit and naturally carbonated. It was really easy. I just boiled the fruit (about 1 lb) in about a gallon of water for 5-10 minutes. Then, I added sugar to make a simple fruit syrup (to taste) and mixed with water to get the final mixture right. I fermented in a plastic water dispenser (the cheap kind with the plastic spigot for about 24 hours.) All of the recipes came out very, very flavorful and perfectly clear. The pectin didn't seem to be an issue. I did do some "google-ing" to get some quantities for the syrup. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I think next time I am going to force carbonate to keep the extra crisp taste.

My current brews...

MiniBrew 6.5 - Firestone Pale 31 Clone (oaked)
5 Gal Secondary - Empty

Keg 1 - Empty
Keg 2 - Empty

Bottled -
Belgian Summer Saison

Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
KevinJ
Recipes 

I have made several gallons of soda with fresh or frozen fruit. Soda is easy and does not need instructions. Dump lots of fruit into some water. Bring to near boil. Add sugar to taste (probably just a little sweeter than you like). Lower temp in ice bath. Add yeast. Put in plastic bottles. Wait till bottles become stiff. Put in refrig and if you remove them from the cold always have the cap off or you will have a bomb.

Kevin

Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
christinahan
Recipes 

Has anybody heard of/gotten a strong caulking flavor from their fruit sodas?

I made a strawberry soda with fresh strawberry, thai basil, lemon and champagne yeast the other day and when I tried it (twice: once, a few hours after putting it in the fridge and then after a full 24 hours in the fridge) it had an overwhelming smell of caulking coming out of it. I wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Thanks for any help.

Christina

Old 08-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
KevinJ
Recipes 

Not sure what caulk tastes like (I only remember what glue tastes like from kindergarten :-) ). Was the water you started with high in calcium carbonate? Did you practice good sanitation?

Strawberry and lemons do not ferment very well and that is what you may be tasting. They really dull out. Most cherry sodas that are fermented taste like nightquil.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
christinahan
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the suggestions Kevin!

I'm not actually sure what caulk tastes like either but I bet I have a pretty good idea now. I've been trying some other fruit mixtures mainly with pluots and they're working better. I'll make sure I test my water and make sure I really clean the bottles next time. Thanks.

Quick Reply