Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Can I use regular soda bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
KevinJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustwing View Post
on this note...
like KevinJ I live in florida (central), and today I decided to try out making ginger beer for the first time after I was done racking my other stuff. I used a 2 liter that I'd cleaned out, this guy's recipie plus a little molassess and more ginger and minus a little lemon juice. I happened to have Cuvee on hand so I used that instead of the traditional bread yeast most people seem to use and um..I'm a little afraid to go to sleep in case this thing explodes XD

Is it necessarily detrimental to chill it now? The bottle is rock hard and goes back to rock hard seconds after I uncap re-cap it.
Put it in the refrig ASAP. How long did you let it sit? Usually it takes me about 24 hours. If you refrig to early that only problem is maybe light carbonation (no biggie). If they are way to firm open an close them a few times. Then put them in the refrig.

BTW get off bread yeasts. You will get better results using some type of brewing yeast. Where are you located in Central FL.

Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5162 Times on 3724 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
The first 3 days the bottles were upstairs at temp around 72 F. Then the bottles were in the basement and placed in a plastic tub in case of bottle bombs. The temp of the basement hovers between 66 and 68 F. I brought the bottles back upstairs 2 days ago and the bottles have not yet firmed up.

Any ideas..?
Check the caps- maybe they've let out the co2? It should definitely be carbed up in 3 days! Do you have any yeast sediment in the bottom?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
KevinJ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
The first 3 days the bottles were upstairs at temp around 72 F. Then the bottles were in the basement and placed in a plastic tub in case of bottle bombs. The temp of the basement hovers between 66 and 68 F. I brought the bottles back upstairs 2 days ago and the bottles have not yet firmed up.

Any ideas..?
How old is your yeast? Was it stored properly. You could have used some dead yeasts (RIP)

Kevin

Old 07-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
Dustwing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Put it in the refrig ASAP. How long did you let it sit? Usually it takes me about 24 hours. If you refrig to early that only problem is maybe light carbonation (no biggie). If they are way to firm open an close them a few times. Then put them in the refrig.

BTW get off bread yeasts. You will get better results using some type of brewing yeast. Where are you located in Central FL.

Kevin
Sarasota just down here a little while for college.

Thanks for the advice, I put the bottle in the fridge after venting it and when I woke up it was uber rock hard again, but the yeast seems to have dropped out and gone to the bottom. Woohoo!

*It's not worth having if it's not worth working for!*

Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
KevinJ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustwing View Post
Sarasota just down here a little while for college.

Thanks for the advice, I put the bottle in the fridge after venting it and when I woke up it was uber rock hard again, but the yeast seems to have dropped out and gone to the bottom. Woohoo!
Those yeast are not dead and defiantly are not done making CO2. Put them in the fridge and they go to sleep. Bring them out, warm them up and they will starting eating, farting and burping. Ask may neighbor who forgot and left one out of the refrigerator (to drink later). A few hours later the curtains, cat, dog, floor, ceiling, etc were painted and smelled like cherry soda (which tasted pretty bad anyway - I can not seem to get a cherry soda that does not taste like nightquil) . If you take one out leave the cap off or enough to pass gas.

PS: If you leave it out to longer (a few days) and your kids get a hold of it. They will do the banana dance.

Kevin

Quick Reply