Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Brewing Alcoholic Soda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Mithro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing Alcoholic Soda

First, I should say that I've never brewed soda before, I've only brewed some basic mead and wine, but I got curious when I started talking to this guy on another forum who kept mentioning that he brews alcoholic soda using the soda that he buys from the store, yeast, sugar and all that.

I tried asking him how he does it, what recipe he follows, he was just vague about it and told me to look up yeast brands, etc. He said he brewed alcoholic Mountain Dew and some hard cream soda, that's about all I know.

Does anyone here have any knowledge about how to do this? I tried Googling a bit, but couldn't find any real, solid information.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Most commercial soda will have lots of yeast stoppers in it. Mountain Dew for sure.

You could adapt a homemade soda for your purposes. I brew a ginger ale that's about 5 % abv

Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, due to his vague replies, I'm gonna call BS on that one. Seems like a lot of work to get alcohol into your mountain dew, not to mention the possible changes to flavor that could occur.

In theory, it's possible. But I'd guess it's really not at all practical. A strong enough yeast starter could possibly overcome the preservatives, but you'd probably have to gradually add the commercial soda to the starter.

Go with Unferth's advice by adapting a recipe. With a soda recipe, you capture all the co2 from the beginning of fermentation so it carbonates right away before much alcohol is produced. Instead, throw the recipe in a carboy and let it bulk up the alcohol like you would with beer, then backsweeten with something unfermentable like splenda.

It will likely take some trial and error to get the flavor right, though. I had a soda go for too long on the fermentation and it started to smell like soy sauce and was on the verge of bursting the bottle long before much alcohol was produced.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 117

There are also lots of sodas out these days without preservatives. Will they work?

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: White House Honey Ale (extract)
Secondary: none
Bottles: black IPA (extract), All-grain pale mild

On deck: Kama Citra session IPA
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 08-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Mountain Dew + Vodka = alcoholic soda

"...allowing the beer to become what it is." -- Jason Yester, Trinity Brewing Co.

MyNameIsPaul Likes This 
Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Unferth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippel-A View Post
There are also lots of sodas out these days without preservatives. Will they work?
Yep. If there are no preservatives (other than ascorbic acid or vitamin C) and it has fermentable sugar in it, it will ferment. Those little buggers are pricey though. It would be way cheaper, and potentially much better, to make your own soda recipe and adjust it for ethanol production.

If you post the kind of Soda you want to turn into booze, somebody might be able to help come up with a recipe

Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
christopherrburns
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This may be off the topic but there is a brewery close to me that makes a hard rootbee that is 10% abv. I swear to god above this stuff tastes like regular soda, my buddies often make floats with this. I have looked high and low and can't fine a recipe for hard rootbeer. I would love to make some. Any one have any clue how to do this.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithead View Post
Mountain Dew + Vodka = alcoholic soda
That was my first thought based on the title; just toss in some alcohol of preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherrburns View Post
This may be off the topic but there is a brewery close to me that makes a hard rootbeer that is 10% abv. I swear to god above this stuff tastes like regular soda, my buddies often make floats with this. I have looked high and low and can't fine a recipe for hard rootbeer. I would love to make some. Any one have any clue how to do this.
Now you have my attention.

Primary: Empty
Secondary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Vanilla Stout (5/18/14), Coffee Stout (6/22/14), Water and Craft Beer

Old 08-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Unferth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherrburns View Post
This may be off the topic but there is a brewery close to me that makes a hard rootbee that is 10% abv. I swear to god above this stuff tastes like regular soda, my buddies often make floats with this. I have looked high and low and can't fine a recipe for hard rootbeer. I would love to make some. Any one have any clue how to do this.
Not at all.

I would love to help with this, but I've never brewed a regular rootbeer.

There's some good ones on this forum, they just require 10 lbs of ingredients not available at the grocery store or LHBS.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
christopherrburns
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I did a root beer with my kids that was good but I have no idea how to ferment it to 10% without it tasting hot and boozy. I will have to check some of the existing forums. Did not come across any when ive looked in the past, did not really look that hard.

Quick Reply