Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Bottle conditioning - splenda or truvia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
FarFromBilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle conditioning - splenda or truvia

Does anyone know if you can naturally condition bottles with Splenda or truvia? I'm sure misspelled the names. Will yeast ferment that stuff? I don't have the option if force carbonating the soda, and would like to make my soda a bit more waist friendly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1566 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 648

I don't know truvia. But real Splenda (the artificial sweetener, Splenda brand does have fermentable products) is not fermentable. Good for backsweetening a hard cider you want to bottle condition. Precisely for the same reason you cannot prime with it- the yeast won't eat it.

Edit: Truvia appears to be stevia based. As far as I know, it's also non-fermentable.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 05-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
FarFromBilly
Recipes 

Would it be possible to use just enough corn sugar with splenda so that the yeast eats the sugar to condition the bottles and the splenda remains to sweeten the mix?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP

Recipes 

Liked 1566 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 648

If you're looking for a sweetness (just noticed this is in the soda section, hah) while bottle conditioning, there's no other way than to use something non-fermentable. Any fermentable sugars would get consumed, and if there's too much in a bottle it can get dangerous. I've backsweetened and carbonated hard ciders, so yeah, it's entirely possible.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 05-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
FarFromBilly
Recipes 

Thank you for the help

Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I saw a soda making kit at the local winemaking supply shop that includes stevia as the sweetener. So the concept is that the sugars get completely consumed for the carbonation source and the stevia remains because it is not fermentable.

You should be able to make a "diet" soda with either of those, and then add just enough fermentable sugar for the carbonation level that you want. Using the same calculations for priming bottle conditioned beer should get you close.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
FarFromBilly
Recipes 

Does anyone know if there are any bulking agents in that stuff (I'm assuming so), and if the bulking agents are fermentable? I'm not sure if I should take the bulking agents into consideration, or ignore them, for the sake of a little more fizz.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
skylor60
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What about the Splenda blend? Would that work?

Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #9
spinnychick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFromBilly View Post
Does anyone know if there are any bulking agents in that stuff (I'm assuming so), and if the bulking agents are fermentable? I'm not sure if I should take the bulking agents into consideration, or ignore them, for the sake of a little more fizz.
Most of the powdered sweeteners use dextrose as an anti clumping agent. There is generally 1 gram per packet. I'm not sure about the amount in the bulk ones.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
FarFromBilly
Recipes 

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help! The batch of root beer (with Splenda) turned out awesome. I used Splenda as the sweetening agent, then only enough sugar to condition the bottles!

Quick Reply