Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Better syrup attempts for sodastream

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
daft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly72 View Post
To daft -- again, I don't know where you live but if you live in Hawaii and you like the idea of using shaved ice flavors for soda, you're in luck. Apparently there are quite a lot of shaved ice suppliers in Hawaii, including this place: http://www.shaveicesupplies.com/shave-ice-flavors-c-1.html which looks to be one of the more popular brands.
I recall shave ice flavors seeming a bit light on real fruitiness and more like thin artificial syrup. I did try a guava breakfast syrup by "flavors of hawaii" that turned out fantastic and comes in econo sizes. Contains just guava and sugarwater (not corn syrup)... it kinds of gels up in the fridge as if the natural fruit pectin is at work, although pulp isn't apparent. I think this helps suppress foam reactions when you put it in.

I don't normally favor guava fruit or juice, but it makes an even better soda. I have their coconut syrup but haven't tried it yet. Having real fruitiness is more satisfying than the thin amounts you tend to get in highly processed Monin, etc. - that's why I like the frozen concentrates too.

So if it would let me edit: (3) Add chilled lemon juice drops into chilled carbed sodastream water. Shake chilled guava syrup, and glop into most of remaining headspace. Cap and shake the daylights out of it until gel breaks up, then rechill and let carb reabsorb. Later uncap slowly because the gel breakup may have had an internal foaming effect.

Also I tried every flavor of a canned frozen concentrate line called something like Hawaii's Own. I think I mentioned foaming on initial attempts. About the 5th and last flavor was the only one that didn't trigger excessive foaming from coarse pulp... I think it is called Paradise Punch which is pretty good. I forget if it needs lemon added for tartness.

Tripping on carbonic acid, high on fructose!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #22
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I found frozen concentrate cans of cran rasberry, which is excellent carbonated

Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #23
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Looks like I made a big step in making high foaming syrups workable with sodastream. I found if you tilt the bottle (80% full of cold carbed water of course) and pour the syrup against the inside of the neck... almost no foaming! After a cap, shake, and rechill... be careful opening and pouring because there will be a delayed effect foam... kind of nice head on the glass actually.

So many syrups weren't workable due to explosive foam, but the trick is to run it down stuck to the inside surface of the bottle. I got breakfast syrup (blueberry) to work better, now will try more tricky types that werent feasible at all. Also will pour everything else in this way, such as lemon juice and agave.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

cherry Dr pepper! Eureka! The oh-so-hard to replicate essence of Dr Pepper is in fact easy in the sodastream system. Just fill the remaining headroom of a carbed bottle of cold water with 1/4 black cherry concentrate and 3/4 agave syrup. It comes out tasting sort of in between Dr Pepper and cherry Dr pepper... yowzaa!

It amazed me that this worked because if I average out the two tastes in my head it seems bleh, but the two seem to interact in some complex way for your taste buds. I used xagave which is a mild blend of both blue and white agave. The black cherry concentrate was pure, with no additives or sweetener, and seems widely available pretty cheaply due to use for medicinal purposes. It wasn't super fruity tasting, but almost prunish with tart and sweet elements.

Under the same principle, I tried substituting blackcurrent concenetrate with agave... yuck. And I tried substituting corn syrup for agave, and it was bad the same day but a bearable the next day when the jellyfish of corn syrup mixed better.

P.S. maybe some of you didn't like commercial canned cherry dr pepper, but I find it grows on you if you keep chugging it... unlike almost any canned soda it has no annoying overtones from repeated drinking. The drink above also is distinct from Safeway's Refreshe black cherry soda which is kiddie sweet. However the above creation is like neither of these, but a very wholesome natural feeling taste more akin to straight Dr pepper.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #25
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Cranberry Colada: A splash of monin coconut syrup added to canned frozen cranberry concentrate takes the edge off the cran tartness, now bolstered by carbonic acid from the bubbly water. The 2 flavors blend really well also.

Comments: now I see the principle at work, where coconut smoothes out the very tart, like lemonade. I had tried adding cran to lemonade, but it was way too tart. Cran by itself added to bitter carbed water was too tart... but together a cran colada is better than a lemon colada, which is better than a pina colada.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #26
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft View Post
I tried substituting blackcurrent concenetrate with agave... yuck.
I meant substituting blackcurrent concentrate FOR agave, not WITH. Anyway I tried all three for quite happy results tasting something like boysenberry: Agave + Blackcherry + Blackcurrent = fireberry (can't think of a good term to capture it's smoldering kick).

This isn't just some toying around with flavors, like you might try straw-raspberry or something, but is a very specific solution for problems. The black cherry typically is pure concentrated black cherries, so it's tartness cancels out it's sweetness and although wholesome it will be overpowered by carbonic bitterness. Usually I drown it in agave, but that is recently becoming insanely expensive due to the premium tequila craze absorbing supply.

So it made more economic sense to substitute part of the expensive agave with luxurious blackcurrent. I can only get that concentrate by airmail in the ridiculous british bottle which won't seal after you open it, and is fiddly to open and close anyway. But it is a real treat because growing blackcurrent has been until recently unjustifiably banned in most US states.

The british ribena concentrate is quite sweet and kind of one-note where (like the black cherry concentrate) folks don't consume it for the taste but for medicinal qualities. In another thread I found I had to mix it with ginger ale to fully appreciate it, but here you can get the fantastic blackcurrent taste without acrid side effects by mixing with blackcherry and agave.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #27
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Been Looking at the bag in a box syrups lately and did some searching and some reading, I have already made some rainbow rootbeer (family says it has a"diet" taste) and looking at possibly getting a couple of 1 gallon boxes of actual Diet Dr. Pepper and a cream soda...

Was wondering if anyone has recently used these bag in a box syrups and what the good and bad are with using them.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Niantic Brewing
Est. 2009
Small Cap Brewing.....
Fermentor#1:Empty Waiting for Plinian Legacy..
Fermentor#2:Empty
Waiting In Line:AHS Recipes for Fat Tire, and Goose Island Kolsch
Drinking: HOMEBREW!!!!!! LOL

Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #28
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sodastream bottles don't have enough room for the amount of concentrate recommended from bag in the box (1/5?). I think this may be designed specifically to prevent people from straying from their syrup. In fact, it can be hard to get any corn syrup based flavoring to work due to this, except perhaps in their smaller bottles and with HF version of CS.

It can be overcome, but is hardly worth it once you find your own even better syrups. Their gimmick is that the carbonator only works with the bottle about 85% full of water (a little less with their very much recommended optional half liter sodastream bottles). You could then pour some water out to make room for extra syrup, but that ups the co2 costs.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #29
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft View Post
Sodastream bottles don't have enough room for the amount of concentrate recommended from bag in the box (1/5?). I think this may be designed specifically to prevent people from straying from their syrup. In fact, it can be hard to get any corn syrup based flavoring to work due to this, except perhaps in their smaller bottles and with HF version of CS.

It can be overcome, but is hardly worth it once you find your own even better syrups. Their gimmick is that the carbonator only works with the bottle about 85% full of water (a little less with their very much recommended optional half liter sodastream bottles). You could then pour some water out to make room for extra syrup, but that ups the co2 costs.
I know what you mean about making syrups, I have done this with a Rainbow Rootbeer Extract 20 ounces of spring water 2 and half cups of sugar in the raw, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and one ounce of the extract into a quart bottle. Kids tried it said it wasn't vanilla'y enough added a little more vanilla, but it takes about one and half capful's of the syrup in the half liter bottle to make it any good.

What we have been doing in making the carbed water using soda stream then pouring it into a very large glass...and then slowly pouring in the syrup and mixing it up with a spoon. Kids have said it's better but still has a "diet " twang to it...

My wife really likes Diet Dr. Pepper and I found a one gallon box and was going to give that a whirl, the reviews on the site have said it takes more syrup when using the soda stream seeing how we generally don't mix in the bottle I am ok with using a little more.

I still want to give some of the prairie moon and pittsburgh soda syrups a go as well.

Ron
Niantic Brewing
Est. 2009
Small Cap Brewing.....

Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 AM   #30
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ok ordered from syrup supply got a one gallon bag in box of diet dr pepper it takes more syrup but it definitely tastes better than what the dr pete stuff is and the mrs says it works for her as well and she's the toughest one to deal with. It is pricier but for us it's well worth it will be trying the other bag in box syrups as well

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ron
Niantic Brewing
Est. 2009
Small Cap Brewing.....

Quick Reply