Best style of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheap when bought in bulk
i use it for root beer
i get a brick of it and it lasts for years

Sorry to join the conversation so late BUT...
I am just getting into the homemade thing.
A friend who brew's beer suggested I use Lager yeast.
But lager yeasts tend to be very clean with little flavor imparted themselves, partly because they do ferment at lower temperatures so they don't produce side products like esters and phenols which add flavor.
Does this translate to the soda world or should I just go with the champagne and forget it?
Thanks for any help on this topic.

Champagne yeast will, of course, have the most subtle flavor change, but if you're using glass bottles, and/or this is your first time making soda, DO NOT use champagne yeast.

The reason I say DO NOT use it for your first time, it that it will carbonate AGGRESSIVELY, which is very good for soda, but you're extremely likely to pop glass bottles.

If you do want to go for champagne yeast to keep from affecting you flavor, I would advise you to use plastic bottles, at least for the first time; as then you can get a hang of the super sugar levels in soda.

Cool, good point.
I will be using plastic, i guess i didn't realize they fermented at different speeds.
Is there any type of yeast cheat sheet you know of that would have the basic info for the yeast one might use in soda making?
Have you ever tried the Lager yeast?
Thanks for the responce

Cool, good point.
I will be using plastic, i guess i didn't realize they fermented at different speeds.
Is there any type of yeast cheat sheet you know of that would have the basic info for the yeast one might use in soda making?
Have you ever tried the Lager yeast?
Thanks for the responce

I use lager yeast all the time, for beers that are lagers. Never for soda.

Lager yeast ferment at about 50 degrees. That's too warm for your fridge, but too cold for your room temperature. It also takes longer, so you'd have to check for carbonation frequently over 10 days. If you ferment a lager yeast above 55 degrees, you'll have a sulfury estery mess. It'll stink and be fruity, both.

Whoever told you that a lager yeast is good for soda is mistaken.

Wine yeast is typically used for soda (as it's good with simple sugars) and champagne yeast is the most neutral. Speed isn't really a factor, as they all will ferment at the same speed at the same temperature.

Well he is a friend who does homebrew.
He did say he's never done soda and was just answering questions and one question was what has a low yeast taste, he did mention the temperature thing.
That's why I asked, just trying to learn.
Speed isn't really a factor, as they all will ferment at the same speed at the same temperature.
Ok so they don't active at different speeds. Cool
When you say Champagne is neutral are you referring to the flavor?

Back