Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > anyone using the carbonator cap with 500ml PET bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
jigidyjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default anyone using the carbonator cap with 500ml PET bottles?

I've never made soda before but want to start. I don't drink a lot of soda, so want to make it in small bottles so I can make a small batch then have one bottle at a time - the 500ml PET bottles is what I'm looking at. I also don't want to use yeast (I want it to be alcohol free).

So I've found the carbonator cap, but I only see people using it with 1L bottles.

Has anyone used it on 500ml bottles? Is there anything I need to be worried about? I guess I would need one cap for each bottle I'm going to make, so maybe that's why people don't do it, because it is costly...

I know I also need the CO2 dispensing equipment to connect to the cap.. I haven't started researching that. So any recommendations for easy to use stuff are welcomed.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
physfarm
Recipes 

You can build your own carbonator caps. I'm getting ready to make a couple myself. All you need to do is mount a valve stem in the cap for the bottle. Much cheaper than buying a carbonator cap. Of course you will have to get a tire chuck and tie that in to your (future?) CO2 system. There are some good instructions if you search around.

As for making soda, I know nothing.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

You don't need a Carbonator for each bottle. If you carbonate very cold soda to 40 psi, you can remove the Carbonator cap and put a standard cap on.

Take a look at sodaclubs system. It is designed around making soda from concentrates, one bottle at a time. I don't use their equipment, but I do use the concentrates with the cornie of soda water I keep on tap.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply