Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Yellow Leaves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Kugster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Yellow Leaves

I have read a few threads and they have mentioned a nutrients issue...not sure if that is the case here. Could this be from over watering?

picture-021.jpg

picture-022.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful...tanks!

Oh yeah...some of the leaves at the bottom look a little rough (old?)..forgot to get pics of those.

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Secondary 1....Blackeye IIPA
Secondary 2........Mikita's BB Wheat
Conditioning.....
Tap 1.............Spooky's Stout
Tap 2.............Rico's Red

DogBone Brewery

If you get confused listen to the music play! - Robert Hunter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Given that the yellowing is in the younger leaves eliminates most of the major nutrients for deficiency. It could be a sulfur deficiency, but your idea that it could be from overwatering is possible.

If you can, did some of the soil to a depth of 8in or so. If the soil seems extremely moist then it is over watering.

If the soil is dry or slightly moist, then the sulfur could be the problem. To fix this without changing your pH, sprinkle pellet gypsum around the base of your plants (~1/2cup or so) then water in. If you need to lower your pH, sprinkle elemental sulfur around the base.

Gypsum can be purchased in bags at most outdoor stores.

This is advice from general hort. background. It should apply to hop plants as well.

Hope this helps.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 06-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Kugster

Recipes 

I'll do that once I get home. Have them on a drip system...going 3x a day for 10 mins. I also live in AZ where it's been 100 degrees...a bit worried that they will be underwatered...probably should do a soil test too.

Thanks for the advice!

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Conditioning.....

DogBone Brewery

Old 06-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Dang,
Now I'm more confused than ever. I have plants that look similar. I thought I had it nailed down to an Iron issue. From what I've gathered, it's just about impossible to over-do Iron. Would it make sense to do a foliar feeding with Iron, and if there is no improvement, then try Sulfur?
Is Gypsum the best/safest option? I know Epsom Salts are normally used for Magnesium. Being Magnesium Sulfate, are Epsom Salts any sort of source for Sulfur?
Thanks!

Chris

Old 06-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Epsom salts will work as well for sulfur. I just like to use gypsum because it has calcium in it, which plants need as well.

I would be surprised if you have an iron deficiency, unless you have a high pH. You can do a foliar feeding of iron and see what happens. Couldn't hurt.

You can also do a foliar feeding of epsom salts or gypsum. Both readily dissolve in water and can be sprayed with a pump sprayer. This will be a quick way of getting sulfur into the plant. This method also works some with tomato plants displaying blossom end rot of the fruit.

You can have your soil tested by your local extension office. Most times the fees is low (less than $10) and sometimes you can get one for free!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 06-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Definitely get your soil analyzed. Dessert soils can have some strange problems. In L.V., I finally just dug a trench and back-filled with real soil.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Definitely get your soil analyzed. Dessert soils can have some strange problems. In L.V., I finally just dug a trench and back-filled with real soil.
Yeah. That is definitely what some need to do. What is most common is raised beds filled with soil brought in.

I had a 4'X8' garden plot once that was too rich with clay and I amended with 300lbs of local compost! My tomato plant loved it

Quote:
- Arthur Weasley

Old 06-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Dig
Recipes 

My vote is too much water. Over watering does exhibit general yellowing of the plant. When I look at your leaves I do notice green veins though. Over watering does present quite a few odd behaviors in plants, however if it is not the problem then it IS a micronutrient problem. The above advice should do the trick, but first I would water every other or every third day, not every day. It is 100 where I live too and the plant can handle those temps.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
Kugster

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig View Post
My vote is too much water. Over watering does exhibit general yellowing of the plant. When I look at your leaves I do notice green veins though. Over watering does present quite a few odd behaviors in plants, however if it is not the problem then it IS a micronutrient problem. The above advice should do the trick, but first I would water every other or every third day, not every day. It is 100 where I live too and the plant can handle those temps.
cheers everyone...that is excatly what I am doing...going to every other day. I had originally started with drip @3mins/3x/day then bummped to 5mins then to 7 now at (was 10) because of the heat. We did have some good rain 2 weeks ago (no really) and was out of town for 10 days...had drip going almost the whole time. Had swmbo's rents sort it out. Just seems growth has slowwed quite a bit...yeah I know...1st year plants won't get crazy...guess I worry a bit too much about the kids! Soil is pretty good...use to be a regular garden...funny thing actually have some tomato plants popping up next to my nugget...never planted tomato...do have a pepper plant on other side of garden??:

I know the big orange home improvment store has a one time cheap soil test kit for like 3$...was also thinking of getting one of those "shade screen" things..they drop temp like 15 degrees but block over 50% of light...probably not too good of an idea now that I really think about it.

Anyways.....ROCK ON

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Conditioning.....

DogBone Brewery

Old 06-15-2008, 03:11 AM   #10
Kugster

Recipes 

well...they are dead!!! Maybe it was under watering...stopped watering just for 1 day and they all shriveled up and died!!! Crazy...I am doing ER watering to see if that helps...if not...DAMN!!!!! Live and learn...huh?

I'll take pics tomorrow...

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Conditioning.....

DogBone Brewery