New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Wow!! This is awesome but I need help ASAP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #21
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Fair enough. I live in Canada so my government is just a giant failure all around - probably why I'm so indifferent. I have had 32 years of "who effing cares" drilled in to my head from our asinine 'leadership'.

I'm convinced we could eliminate the entire federal government and the country would basically just run itself. The provinces, regions, and municipalities can figure it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #22
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I did know what to anticipate. I didn't even think it would be sent honestly. Chill out. I indicated I am looking to observe & measure the potential yield of the Sorachi Ace plant vs. native hop plants (U.S.) here in Ohio. Will my finding be completely 100% scientific, no, but if the government request data in 4 or 5 years then I will give them some. I'm not trying to scam the government.

Just because I did not know what to do with them is not my fault. I did not know what they were going to send me. At least I took the time to research and develop a plan of what to do with them vs. just putting them in the compost. They could have easily contacted me as I provided all my information.

Sorachi Ace is not available commercially.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Can someone post the link for the free MRI machine I can put in my house?

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
I did know what to anticipate. I didn't even think it would be sent honestly. Chill out. I indicated I am looking to observe & measure the potential yield of the Sorachi Ace plant vs. native hop plants (U.S.) here in Ohio. Will my finding be completely 100% scientific, no, but if the government request data in 4 or 5 years then I will give them some. I'm not trying to scam the government.

Just because I did not know what to do with them is not my fault. I did not know what they were going to send me. At least I took the time to research and develop a plan of what to do with them vs. just putting them in the compost. They could have easily contacted me as I provided all my information.

You mean you didnt' know what GERMPLASM was?? PFFFT...

I think you should now get a custom license plate: GERMPLSM

Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Fair enough. I live in Canada so my government is just a giant failure all around - probably why I'm so indifferent. I have had 32 years of "who effing cares" drilled in to my head from our asinine 'leadership'.

I'm convinced we could eliminate the entire federal government and the country would basically just run itself. The provinces, regions, and municipalities can figure it out.
I know lots of folks here in the US who think the same way and the numbers are growing every day. It's just sad that so many believe that one or the other party will do what's right for the majority. I know how to make beer and bread and try to ignore all the other stuff. Helps me to ease the pain a little.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #26
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
The fact that you are on a homebrewrewing site would suggest that testing yield of Sorachi Ace vs. native was not your primary reason for making this request, no?

Answer this then: Do you consider yourself a home gardener?

Quote:
Just because I did not know what to do with them is not my fault.
How isn't it your fault? You were the one who requested them.

Quote:
I did not know what they were going to send me.
You could have called. I found a phone number in 20 seconds, did you look?

Quote:
At least I took the time to research and develop a plan of what to do with them vs. just putting them in the compost.

They could have easily contacted me as I provided all my information.
The fact you posted pictures of the bines, along with a post saying "I need help ASAP" would suggest you DID NOT develop a plan. Also, why is it their responsibility to make sure you know what you are doing?

Quote:
I think we are getting to the heart of why you made the request.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
You mean you didnt' know what GERMPLASM was?? PFFFT...

I think you should now get a custom license plate: GERMPLSM
I would hazard a guess that any graduate student in plant biology would know what they meant by germplasm. That is why some people are qualified to make requests of USDA ARS and some people are not.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 16

In all honesty I never thought anything would materialize out of the request. Yes, of course if I get hops I will brew with them, but I'm also interested in doing some basic research as well. I apologize if you think I abused something here, that was not my intentions of the thread. I'm a honest person who would not take advantage of the government. In fact they took advantage of me with my 8 years of Marine Corps service.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #29
dbals
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

scientist [ˈsaɪəntɪst]
n
a person who studies or practices any of the sciences or who uses scientific methods

Sounds pretty general to me and they don't include "requirements" to plant so much acreage, info on funding grants or even institution info. Time for me to pull out my notes from all my botany courses I took in college!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Eh, the parameters of "research" are pretty vague here. Since there's no real documented requirements to produce anything specific, I'd say the providers of the material aren't particularly fussy about who they send this stuff to.

And it's not like cuttings from hop plants are particularly expensive, rare, dangerous.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

davekippen Likes This 

Quick Reply