Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Wow!! This is awesome but I need help ASAP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
drummstikk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester5120 View Post
I'd like a copy of the link too please
Agreed! I'm sure the Japanese and Yakima hop industries can bear a few crazed homebrewers growing proprietary hops at home. A link to the order form for the cuttings would be much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #12
LeSinge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Link to get hops:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/humcult.html

some searching around will provide more answers, especially the 'how' 'when' and 'what's required'

None of the available hops are proprietary, and it's likely the proprietary hops remain with the developers until the patent runs out, and maybe then goes to the USDA for research.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #13
brian2can
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here is a great link on some hop info:

http://www.freshops.com/hops/usda-na...y-descriptions

When I get a really beautifully clear beer in my glass, I will drink it slowly, and study it through the light until my wife tells me I am a fool of a man. I will do anything to get brilliantly clear beer. It is a mark of skill of the brewer.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #14
lastsecondapex
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
Did your Chinook make it? If so how did you get it to grow properly?
I root cuttings regularly off of my plants without rooting hormone. Fill up a beer bottle with water to the base of the neck. Stick the cut end of the bine until it is barely submerged in the water. (the neck should hold the bine well enough that you can prop it in a windowsill.) It will sprout roots within 2-3 weeks. Give it another 2 weeks to develop the root system then plant.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastsecondapex

I root cuttings regularly off of my plants without rooting hormone. Fill up a beer bottle with water to the base of the neck. Stick the cut end of the bine until it is barely submerged in the water. (the neck should hold the bine well enough that you can prop it in a windowsill.) It will sprout roots within 2-3 weeks. Give it another 2 weeks to develop the root system then plant.

Good luck!
Yeh I do the same think with solo cups. When the root system gets big enough I sprinkle miricle grow in slowly till it's full. then drain the water. This keeps the roots in suspension and doesn't damage them.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

From the websites distribution policies:

The National Plant Germplasm System provides germplasm to support research and education objectives.

Due to the intensive effort and resources required to ensure availability of germplasm for this purpose, we are unable to distribute it for home gardening or other purposes that can utilize readily available commercial cultivars.

I better not see any of you over on the debate forum complaining about the abuse of government assistance programs....just sayin'...

Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
From the websites distribution policies:

The National Plant Germplasm System provides germplasm to support research and education objectives.

Due to the intensive effort and resources required to ensure availability of germplasm for this purpose, we are unable to distribute it for home gardening or other purposes that can utilize readily available commercial cultivars.

I better not see any of you over on the debate forum complaining about the abuse of government assistance programs....just sayin'...
He's using it to research and educate himself (and hopefully us) on "the effects of certain hop varieties pertaining to specific homebrew applications".

Sounds legit to me!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
He's using it to research and educate himself (and hopefully us) on "the effects of certain hop varieties pertaining to specific homebrew applications".

Sounds legit to me!

If you say so....The other issue I have with this is the OP doesn't even know what to do with the stuff he got!

So not only did make his request under questionable circumstances, there is a fair chance that he going to waste MORE taxpayer money by botching the propagation of the stock they sent him. What is he going to do then, put in another request for some more free s*it from the gubmint?

This is exactly the reason why the policies are in place; to keep some yahoo from wasting resources that can be put to good use (like ya know, ACTUAL research!)...too bad they aren't enforced obviously.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
If you say so....The other issue I have with this is the OP doesn't even know what to do with the stuff he got!

So not only did make his request under questionable circumstances, there is a fair chance that he going to waste MORE taxpayer money by botching the propagation of the stock they sent him. What is he going to do then, put in another request for some more free s*it from the gubmint?

This is exactly the reason why the policies are in place; to keep some yahoo from wasting resources that can be put to good use (like ya know, ACTUAL research!)...too bad they aren't enforced obviously.
You really take life seriously, huh?

It's not like the guy went and got a free MRI machine installed in his house. It's a piece of a plant. BFD.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
You really take life seriously, huh?

It's not like the guy went and got a free MRI machine installed in his house. It's a piece of a plant. BFD.
I would say "realistically' as opposed to 'seriously'. When this topic came up a few years ago there must have been zillions of homebrewers trying to obtain germplasm from them as the statement about 'excluding home gardeners' was added later. Sure, it's a government organization but it's a part of the government that actually does some good for the rest of our society. Unfortunately, Agriculture isn't a real flashy subject/department when it comes to our government and when budget time comes around, they usually fall near the bottom so they're working with limited resources. Just an observation.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS