Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Wild Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Wild Hops?

As I live in an area that produced lots of hops back in the early 30's (upstate ny) there are lots of old hop farms around. Anyhow, I know of a few areas not far from my house where there are small bunches of wild hops growing.

Firstly, assuming that I can find enough to brew with, would they be usable for brewing? Anyone ever find/use wild hops before?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If they are on land that was once used to grow hops commercially, they are likely Cluster.This was the dominant variety back then. Clusters are 6-8% alpha acid and are good dual purpose hops. My great-great grandfather planted hops on his small family farm here in Onondaga county. My grandmother still lives on the farm and I harvested some last weekend. Will be going back for the rest this weekend. Whereabouts are you?

Old 08-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Yes, I assume these were commercially grown hops at one point, as I find them around old hop barns. Though, I don't know when the the hop farms were operational or who owned them as they are now abandoned. If I get some free time this weekend I will see if I can collect some hops and take pictures. I live near Hamilton College.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you do get a chance try to take some pictures of the hop houses. I would be very interested in seeing them.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I've used some of feral hops from my neighbor's farm. Probably Fuggles, as that was the main hop for this area back then.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-31-2008, 03:20 AM   #6
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Went hop hunting today and hit payload! I harvested 2 pounds of hops, with huge cones and deep yellow lupulin glands. Extremely fragrant. Tomorrow I plan on going back and getting more, could probably cut enough hop vines to fill the back of my truck.

Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do it...

Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 AM   #7
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Went hop hunting today and hit payload! I harvested 2 pounds of hops, with huge cones and deep yellow lupulin glands. Extremely fragrant. Tomorrow I plan on going back and getting more, could probably cut enough hop vines to fill the back of my truck.

Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do it...
How'd the beer turn out?

Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Law_Brew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I felt like I should resurrect this thread since I just got a bunch of wild hops from my uncle who lives near Saratoga Springs, NY. The are frozen and I haven't had a chance to look to closely at them yet.

How has the beer made with these hops turned out? Has anyone here actually tried it yet?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law_Brew View Post
I felt like I should resurrect this thread since I just got a bunch of wild hops from my uncle who lives near Saratoga Springs, NY. The are frozen and I haven't had a chance to look to closely at them yet.

How has the beer made with these hops turned out? Has anyone here actually tried it yet?
Necropost!

Chances are the are the hops you got are Cluster hops or some variation thereof. Many CNY hop farms back in the 1800's grew more than one variety, such as Humphries, True Canada, Pompey...

I have brewed with wild hops a few times and the resulting beer was generally drinkable. The wild hops around my house are EXTREMELY grapefruity tasting - as in tastes like concentrated grapefruit juice - though the aroma is somewhat catty and spicy. I found the beers were best consumed young as the hop aroma and flavor went south after a few months. If you intend on using those hops, they would best be used in a low gravity IPA or pale ale that won't need extended aging.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #10
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Necropost!

Chances are the are the hops you got are Cluster hops or some variation thereof. Many CNY hop farms back in the 1800's grew more than one variety, such as Humphries, True Canada, Pompey...

I have brewed with wild hops a few times and the resulting beer was generally drinkable. The wild hops around my house are EXTREMELY grapefruity tasting - as in tastes like concentrated grapefruit juice - though the aroma is somewhat catty and spicy. I found the beers were best consumed young as the hop aroma and flavor went south after a few months. If you intend on using those hops, they would best be used in a low gravity IPA or pale ale that won't need extended aging.
Great feedback.

I have used dried leaf cascade. General consensus is you need to use almost twice as much leaf oz's as you would pellet oz's.

I noticed it when I tried to use them 1:1 to replace pellets.

I would really like to try some wild hops. I would probably use a lot of them though.

Quick Reply