New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Wild Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
davichris77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wild Hops

What would be the best way to test the bitternes of some wild hops. My grandmother threw some on the beach many years ago and not shure of beer worthyness at this point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Laboratory testing.

My neighbor has some feral hops and I used some of them last year for a batch. I think they were Fuggles. The flavor & aroma are fine, but I had to make some bittering tea from Columbus, even though I had made a Mild.

Old hops will be low AA, regardless. High AA hops are a new development. If you like the smell, use them for aroma & flavor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Basicbrewing radio and other places recommend using unknown or wild hops for for flavor/aroma only since there's no way outside of a lab to test the IBU's of a hop.

I THINK however, there is a guy on here who works in a lab and offerred to test peoples hops...I think he had a thread on here back in Jan. or Feb.... I'll try do to a search to see if I can find it...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

This might help you identify them...

http://www.americanhopmuseum.org/varieties.htm

If you can ID them, then you can at least get in the ball park in terms of IBU's

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 437

...this is almost my back yard.

davishris77 - Did you try it?

Quick Reply