Wild Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davichris77

Reaction score
What would be the best way to test the bitternes of some wild hops. My grandmother threw some on the beach many years ago and not shure of beer worthyness at this point.

Laboratory testing.

My neighbor has some feral hops and I used some of them last year for a batch. I think they were Fuggles. The flavor & aroma are fine, but I had to make some bittering tea from Columbus, even though I had made a Mild.

Old hops will be low AA, regardless. High AA hops are a new development. If you like the smell, use them for aroma & flavor.

Basicbrewing radio and other places recommend using unknown or wild hops for for flavor/aroma only since there's no way outside of a lab to test the IBU's of a hop.

I THINK however, there is a guy on here who works in a lab and offerred to test peoples hops...I think he had a thread on here back in Jan. or Feb.... I'll try do to a search to see if I can find it...

Back