Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > wild hop hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #11
hopboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I can't speak to wild hops in other states. I can tell you that once you've seen them in your yard, at a brew pub or at a commercial grower then you will be able to identify wild ones. They are growing in several places along the front range of the Rockies, here in Colorado. They are wild for I have found them in places that no one would want to plant them. I ahve about 20 wild plants growing on a Colorado State U. Ag Research far. About 6 plants are males.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #12
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Actually, hops used to be grown extensively commericially on the east coast especially upstate NY. They were prone to mildew and other moisture related damage and that is why the center of hop growing transfered to the west coast especially, Oregon and Washington.

As to finding "wild" ones or rather feral as another poster stated. Sure. Most likely you would look where a farm is or was at one time. A buddy of mine found some very active hops growing at my former (his current) workplace which used to be a farm here in Northeastern VT. He dug some of the root crown up and we both planted them. I cannot tell you yet if they are worth a damn but the buggas are growing like mad. They are wicked full and taking over, unfortunately no burs yet. My first year cascades (purchased) are poppin out all over the place though! I plan on making some small one gallon batches from all my varieties to see how they are (flavor and aroma particularly) so if the "wild ones" ever produce I'll try and post. That is if I can trust my buddy and they are actually cone producing females...

whoa boy.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 01-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
MikeScott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopboy View Post
I can't speak to wild hops in other states. I can tell you that once you've seen them in your yard, at a brew pub or at a commercial grower then you will be able to identify wild ones. They are growing in several places along the front range of the Rockies, here in Colorado. They are wild for I have found them in places that no one would want to plant them. I ahve about 20 wild plants growing on a Colorado State U. Ag Research far. About 6 plants are males.
Have you ever brewed with your wild hops? I found some in the Springs, but it was well after harvest time. I was planning on messing around with them this year.

- Mike Scott
http://www.GoodHomebrew.com

Fermenter 1: Lambic
Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:

What's ready and what I've made

Old 01-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I found some wild hops on an old ranch in Colorado. I tried to germinate the seeds, but nothing came of it. I even froze them to simulate the winter. PM me if you would like the location of the hops. There were both male and female plants there.

The USDA has plant collection expeditions throughout the US. They had one in Colorado for hops. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/reprints/hopexpedition2002.pdf

Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
MikeScott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_in_Aurora View Post
I found some wild hops on an old ranch in Colorado. I tried to germinate the seeds, but nothing came of it. I even froze them to simulate the winter. PM me if you would like the location of the hops. There were both male and female plants there.

The USDA has plant collection expeditions throughout the US. They had one in Colorado for hops. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/reprints/hopexpedition2002.pdf
Thanks for the info! Great link too!

As I mentioned, I've got a ton of wild ones growing near me, I just need to figure out if they are any good to brew with.

It was my understanding that the best way to replant hops was to harvest some of the rhizome (root?).

- Mike Scott

Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:

Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #16
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeScott View Post
Have you ever brewed with your wild hops? I found some in the Springs, but it was well after harvest time. I was planning on messing around with them this year.
I have brewed with wild Arizona hops.

The beer didn't come out very good at all. Too oily, as I ended up using hops with lots and lots of seed.

Plus, the AA% was probably really low as there was no bitterness at all.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
MikeScott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I have brewed with wild Arizona hops.

The beer didn't come out very good at all. Too oily, as I ended up using hops with lots and lots of seed.

Plus, the AA% was probably really low as there was no bitterness at all.
Thanks! I think I'll try a small batch this year, maybe a gallon or so, and see how it comes out before I go crazy harvesting them.

- Mike Scott

Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:

Old 01-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeScott View Post
Thanks! I think I'll try a small batch this year, maybe a gallon or so, and see how it comes out before I go crazy harvesting them.
I'd recommend nothing more than a 1.045 OG. Mine was way too high and didn't give the hops a chance.

also, actually measuring your hops would be good.

I basically took all I had, used 1/2 at 60, 1/4 at 15, and 1/4 at 5. But, I have no idea how many ounces I had!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #19
TheManes
Recipes 

My brother - in western Connecticut - has hops growing in his back yard on his fence - he did not plant them, they grow wild. I am going to take some this summer and put them in a brew and see what happens.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #20
MikeScott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'd recommend nothing more than a 1.045 OG. Mine was way too high and didn't give the hops a chance.

also, actually measuring your hops would be good.

I basically took all I had, used 1/2 at 60, 1/4 at 15, and 1/4 at 5. But, I have no idea how many ounces I had!
Thanks for the advice!

- Mike Scott

Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:

Quick Reply