*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > When to pick?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I picked my first year hops last year as follows,

Magnum came first and were dry/papery for several weeks
Cascade & Centennial matured a bit later but forecast of heavy rains/winds made me rush them and the hops were picked too soon and very grassy.

IMO its better to let them go a bit longer than a bit too early.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
JMass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One year due to vacation, I picked my Cascades early and they were grassy. When you do it, you know it. Other than that, my hops have seemed fine.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #13
BrewHD
Recipes 

Default grassy hops

I picked a few of my cascades yesterday and noticed after drying in a dehydrator that many smell grassy. When I squeezed the hops however the cascade aroma dominates.

Is that grassy smell going to linger in the beer if I use these? Should I toss 'em?

Old 07-19-2010, 03:07 AM   #14
jheist
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glad I only picked a few. They were very grassy and now I have tons more that are feeling more papery every day. I'm just going to continue waiting them out. I just hope they don't shrivel on me before I get to them

Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewHD View Post
I picked a few of my cascades yesterday and noticed after drying in a dehydrator that many smell grassy. When I squeezed the hops however the cascade aroma dominates.

Is that grassy smell going to linger in the beer if I use these? Should I toss 'em?
That depends how fussy you are. I would use them. It might be instructive to know the effect of grassy hops on beer. Depending on how it comes out you could name the beer, "Fresh Mown Lawn Beer" or something. On the other hand, if you only picked a few and mixed them in with the rest, you might not notice the difference. If they are picked prematurely, the lupilin content should be less also, so you may need a few more hops.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
KathyLyn
Recipes 

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a certain time of the day that is better to pick hops than another. With my flowers and herbs that I use for the essential oil, I know we are to pick these in the early morning hours, so I'm wondering if this is the same for picking hops.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #17
tysonj55
Recipes 

Nice thread as I have the same question. I've got 3 first year plants (Cascade, Magnum, Chinook) and all but the Cascade put out single burrs quite awhile ago and they seem to be full size now but not "papery" (I'm new so don't have anything to experience here) feeling with a pronounced aroma yet.

In the past week all three have started to put off lots of growth, all with multiple burrs on each. Although the singles look big enough to be ready, from what I have read here, it seems I should hold off for a bit before harvesting.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
KathyLyn
Recipes 

Yes, I agree, very nice thread.

I guess I'm hung up on the essential oil aspect of the hops, I think this is the part that bitters and flavors the beer? I wonder if there is any other 'test' or indicator that can be used for determining when the hops are ready (in terms of the oil), besides just a papery feel?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #19
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 232

determining when to pick is pretty much a blend of art and science. the one hop grower i spoke with last summer at obf said that he did use the method HOPFARMER posted on the first page of this thread. i think most of us home growers tend to jump-the-gun and pick too early. from what i've seen is that if you train them at roughly the same time each spring, they will usually have a window of time when they come ripe (growing season will play a role with this). when the window is close, i unstrap one of the poles and lay it down into picking position (close to ground level) and each few days check a few cones for ripeness (pick, rub and smell). this is a lot easier than having to climb a ladder.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
crammer
Recipes 

Subscribing

Excellent topic as I'm a first time hop grower as well.

CRAMMER RULES!

On Deck - too many to list
Primary -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Keg 1 -
Keg 2 -
Keg 3 -

Quick Reply