Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > When to make the cut?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
SAMPLER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default When to make the cut?

My hops are growing quickly now and they are my second year growth. I need to start thinking about make a few cuts to keep only my 2-3 main vines to grow strong.

When you I make these cuts and this is there a specific method to cutting to ensure I don't harm the plant?

Here are a few pics of a Cascade and Fuggle. They both are between 18-24 inches tall and growing like crazy each day. I also have nugget plants that are growing equally as well followed by my Willamette's which is barely 12 inches if that.

Thanks for looking and for the advice.

Fuggles

Cascade

PS... I'll be adding a nice layer of cedar mulch this coming weekend.

CHEERS

Madfish Malt House
On Tap: Blue Moon Clone
Kegged: EMPTY
Primary: EMPTY
Secondary: N/A

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 225

I usually just go one by one and grab each vine as close to the base as possible and pull with a steady force until it pulls out. Try to get them to dislodge as close to the crown as possible as this will make thinning easier in years to come. If you don't get the whole thing don't worry about it, at this stage it's more important to get them thinned before they get a chance to start wrapping around each other. Once that happens they can cause you more headaches than not. You'll be fine.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

B-Hoppy is the guru.

Barring plague- your plant will be fine.

I see cutting your plant like trimming a tree. I've got an oak that I inherited from the previous owner and they didn't maintain it so I've got all these random growers at the base. I need to hack those away every year. Had they gave this tree just a little bit of time I wouldn't have this issue.

That's where B-Hoppy is going. A sloppy crown will grow in many directions. Good for the crown- irritating for you. This is the first year I get that lesson. Pick your best team and cut the rest close to the crown. Think of it this way- your directing the energy towards goodness. It's a zen thing.

Quick Reply